PDA

View Full Version : Time display in 24h format?

geminitsl
Nov 23, 2004, 05:30 AM
Just a little request:
Us Europeans tend to not understand the AM/PM 12h time format, so an option of displaying time in military style 24h would be great. Is this possible?

celaurie
Nov 23, 2004, 05:53 AM
Open System Preferences: Date & Time, click the Clock Tab and check the box, as follows;

Chappers
Nov 23, 2004, 08:10 AM
I nearly missed the Apple store opening as I set my alarm clock wrongly because of this.

Doctor Q
Nov 23, 2004, 07:00 PM
I think geminitsl was asking about the time display either on MacRumors news pages or in the MacRumors forums, not how to control how times are displayed on a Mac in the Finder (which celaurie explained).

I don't think the version of the software MacRumors uses for the main site or the forums has a 24-hour/international/military option to display times the way you want, which is too bad.

Mechcozmo
Nov 23, 2004, 08:34 PM
I don't think the version of the software MacRumors uses for the main site or the forums has a 24-hour/international/military option to display times the way you want, which is too bad.

Yeah, and the way that the main page always has the times in EST which means us PST people need to do some mental math...
But that would be rather neat to have, 24 hour time option.

Doctor Q
Nov 24, 2004, 12:22 AM
Yeah, and the way that the main page always has the times in EST.It's even worse during daylight savings time, because the main page stays in standard time. We should all move to Greenwich, England to solve the problem!

russed
Nov 24, 2004, 02:47 AM
Us Europeans tend to not understand the AM/PM 12h time format

which europeans are you basing this on!

we are all tought how to use the am/pm clock at school!

geminitsl
Nov 24, 2004, 11:57 PM

Well, basically everybody but the british ;)

No but seriously, a way to choose your timezone so that all time on the forums was displayed correctly for every user would be really helpful. Right now, I have no idea what to count as correct due to differences in daylight saving and such.

(And yes, that's a separate idea! 24h clock AND timezone customization!)

Doctor Q
Nov 25, 2004, 12:40 AM
No but seriously, a way to choose your timezone so that all time on the forums was displayed correctly for every user would be really helpful.You can't control the time zone shown on the news pages, but you can control the time zone shown in forum displays. Click User CP at the top of the page, then Edit Options, and find the Time Zone section. The DST Correction Option doesn't seem to work for me, but if I pick the appropriate Time Zone in the drop-down list, I get forum displays that match my watch. Since you are north of Copenhagen, the GMT +1:00 setting might be right for you. Is it 7:40 there now?

JFreak
Nov 25, 2004, 06:36 AM

it's not that somebody wouldn't know what the time reading means, but the AM/PM is very easy to miss, especially if it has been wrapped to another line. if it reads:

Yesterday, 04:30
PM

then it's easy to think of very early morning, 'cause one doesn't necessarily start looking for the AM/PM text as it is not used in here. this might not be a problem for americans who always (except in military) look for the AM/PM text and locate it easier...

sebisworld
Nov 25, 2004, 09:58 AM
It's even worse during daylight savings time, because the main page stays in standard time. We should all move to Greenwich, England to solve the problem!

Except that they also have Daylight Savings Time in Greenwich...

That's why I invite all you guys to come visit Iceland: GMT all year around.

Doctor Q
Nov 25, 2004, 11:28 AM
That's why I invite all you guys to come visit Iceland: GMT all year around.OK. But how far to the nearest retail Apple Store?

sebisworld
Nov 25, 2004, 11:35 AM
OK. But how far to the nearest retail Apple Store?

3-4 hours. Depending on how long it takes to get from London Heathrow to Reagan Street. *g*
I've seen some Apple commercials on TV here, and they show an address of a store. I just need to figure out where that place is and maybe it will be my first Apple store experience (Icelandic sized).