Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ccutler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
I recently purchased a colocated mac mini, and have not even configured the server yet (its been sitting for roughly 6 weeks now).

I checked the traffic logs today (provided by the host, not on the server) and I am seeing .5 GB incoming and 1.5 - 2.5 GB outgoing daily. This amounts to roughly 40GB in the past month. It appears to have started a week after I signed up.

I contacted the host and they said this is normal for Snow Leopard.

Can anyone confirm that this IS normal? 1.5 - 2 GB daily outgoing seems awfully high to me.

Thanks,
-Chris

ccutler

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 4, 2010
Well, its a mac mini running snow leopard, not serving anything - pretty much new out of the box.

Les Kern

macrumors 68040
Apr 26, 2002
Alabama
"I contacted the host and they said this is normal for Snow Leopard"

My ass.
More info is needed, like what host, but SL server without ANY services running will generate close to ZERO traffic. However, if you HAVE set up some services, like Update Server, that IS normal.

belvdr

macrumors 603
Aug 15, 2005
"I contacted the host and they said this is normal for Snow Leopard"

My ass.
More info is needed, like what host, but SL server without ANY services running will generate close to ZERO traffic. However, if you HAVE set up some services, like Update Server, that IS normal.

But that would mean more incoming data, not outgoing (from the view of the server).

OP, if no services are running on the box (exclusion of DNS and Open Directory), this just isn't possible.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.