PDA

View Full Version : Marketing strategy of new Powerbooks

howard
Nov 23, 2004, 09:15 AM
Whenever these new powerbooks coming, assuming they are not G5's and probably the dual core G4's, if even those, what do you think they will call them?

G4 has been around to long for the power lineup and they need at least some sort of change, it could boast sales cause right now most people probably think this is the same chip that been in there for how many years now.

I don't know what they would call it, maybe G4 DC (for dual core). Its probably too "unapple" to call it something like that though.

wordmunger
Nov 23, 2004, 09:24 AM
How about G4 Extreme? Nah--that's already starting to sound dated.

G4 x2, maybe (as in G4 times two--but pronounce it "ex too")? That's a little better. I'm sure they'll come up with something.

I do hope they come up with a real new name for it. I hate it when they keep the same name for too long:

"Which powerbook do you have?"
"The new one"
"You mean the dual-core?"
"No, not that new."
"Oh. The TiBook?"
"No, The aluminum one."
"Oh, the 1.33 Ghz?"
"No, the 1.5 Ghz."

jeremy.king
Nov 23, 2004, 10:14 AM
Perhaps its the PC in me, but I am a fan of model numbers.

For example - the Powerbook 1200, 1500, 1700 for the appropriate display size. Then when each one is improved, just increment the model number like the new powerbook 1210. Sort of how eMachines does theirs :eek:

stephenli
Nov 23, 2004, 11:06 AM
How about G4 Extreme? Nah--that's already starting to sound dated.

O i like this name
G4 Extreme
sounds good!
e.......if and only if, it is dual core...or dual G4
however it is still possible for only a minor update, and still single CPU

TLRedhawke
Nov 23, 2004, 11:11 AM
Unfortunately, based on the fact that Apple spent years using numbers to describe Powerbooks, Powermacs, and all their other models (Quadra, Centris, Performa, what have you), and didn't really see fit to put them in sequential order (the Power Macintosh 6100 was the first PowerMac), such a strategy would fall to pieces. People wouldn't necessarily recognize the machines as being the current generation. Moreover, model numbers aren't particularly stylish. As well, even in cases of major (yet crappy) PC manufacturers like eMachines and Dell, the model numbers only tell part of the story. Each model has a number of different configurations which can make the machine identical to that of a different model number. Apple's not really running into that many problems with naming conventions, especially amongst those who pay attention to the products. A product can usually be easily defined by a name and clock speed. For example, a "12 inch PowerBook 867" is clearly identified as the Rev A 12" PowerBook, whereas to say 1 or 1.33 identifies it as either the B or C revision. As well, something like "TiBook 800" is very clear. Apple manages to come up with stylish names for their products, and the consumers manage to come up with a sensible shorthand. While, if they do use a dual core chip, some sort of slight name change may be in order, it need not be anything drastic. Calling it the "PowerBook G4X2", or simply "G4X" would certainly suffice.

johnnyjibbs
Nov 23, 2004, 11:38 AM
G4 has been around to long for the power lineup and they need at least some sort of change, it could boast sales cause right now most people probably think this is the same chip that been in there for how many years now.
Well you say that, but the Pentium 4 is still called that and Intel and PC manufacturers make no attempt to hide the fact that they use Pentium 4s, even though they've been around since around 1.5GHz.

I agree, that they may want to differentiate them a bit by name but I can still see a gradual-ish transition in power and performance. Currently, we have 1.5GHz G4s and soon we may have dual core G4s or 1.6GHz G5s. In some ways, I think the new G4 would be the better processor to use, as a 1.6GHz G5 is not going to be majorly more powerful than a 1.5GHz G4, nor does it look much more apart from the 'G5' badge. I definitely do not see Apple calling a PB a "G4 DC" or anything like that - that G4 dual core could be labelled by Apple a G5 if they intend to use it for a while. If it's only going to be one rev, they may just stick with G4 name.

thecow
Nov 23, 2004, 12:58 PM
How about the G4 squared?

iJoe
Nov 23, 2004, 01:09 PM
G4+

denm316
Nov 23, 2004, 02:07 PM
G4 Centrino

aricher
Nov 23, 2004, 02:39 PM
If it's dual-core I vote for G4 squared - not with the word "sqared" but with the mathmatical notation of the small numeral 2.

munkle
Nov 23, 2004, 02:50 PM
'PowerPod' - from the people that brought you the iPod! ;) :p :D

Failing that G4 X seems to fit in well.

aricher
Nov 23, 2004, 02:56 PM
PowePod - this is what many believe Apple will come out with in the iPod line - a fully stereo recording iPod with many other whistles inside.

G4X - is an abbreviation in the interational banking community for currency exchange - not sure if anyone would get that though.

superbovine
Nov 23, 2004, 06:21 PM
How about the G4 squared?

that gets a big moooooo from me.