PDA

View Full Version : [iPhone] "Alpine" Password doesn't work!

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 09:16 PM
So I am trying to SSH into my phone to change my password but apparently I can't even get into it I tried using the default alpine but it says the password is incorrect....what the heck is going on????

Intell
Aug 4, 2010, 09:18 PM
Then someone already changed it, via SSH. There is a was to reset it on the iPhone. Looking into it now.

ivandr
Aug 4, 2010, 09:18 PM
I was coming onto the boards to ask the same question. 3GS Spirit Jb recently and I went into terminal to change defaults but I can't login to either root or mobile... Any suggestions people?

Bakakage
Aug 4, 2010, 09:20 PM
Try using a lowercase a.

Intell
Aug 4, 2010, 09:22 PM
If you've tried every version of "alpine" you can think of try this: http://www.persian-forums.com/f102/how-reset-your-ssh-password-54415/

ivandr
Aug 4, 2010, 09:23 PM
Double checked caps... No go

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 09:24 PM
I typed it just like this alpine and it wont work....this is making me mad. :mad:

fsck-y dingo
Aug 4, 2010, 09:30 PM
Are you using "root" (without quotes) for the username?

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 09:39 PM
Yes!

I also went to that site downloard the ifile and changed what it told me too i went to log in again and nope it wont let me. I am using PuTTy to log in also don't know if that changes things. I don't know how to manually dl the mobileterminal app.

jayeskreezy
Aug 4, 2010, 09:56 PM
So I am trying to SSH into my phone to change my password but apparently I can't even get into it I tried using the default alpine but it says the password is incorrect....what the heck is going on????

I'm having the same issue on an iphone4. Anybody figure this out yet?

I figured it out. After you type 'su' (without the apostrophes) is asks you to enter something. Enter 'alpine' (it looks like it's not typing anything but it is) and hit return.

Then pick up at Step 5 for these instructions (http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5883).

-aggie-
Aug 4, 2010, 09:56 PM
Restore your phone in DFU mode.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 10:06 PM
A restore is not an option for me.

Intell
Aug 4, 2010, 10:07 PM
My guess is that you are doing something wrong then. Either with your iPhone or PuTTY.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 10:08 PM
I tried winscp too and same thing happens

Bakakage
Aug 4, 2010, 10:12 PM
Uh, you have openssh installed right?

dukebound85
Aug 4, 2010, 10:14 PM

why not?

jayeskreezy
Aug 4, 2010, 10:18 PM
I'm having the same issue on an iphone4. Anybody figure this out yet?

I figured it out. After you type 'su' (without the apostrophes) is asks you to enter something. Enter 'alpine' (it looks like it's not typing anything but it is) and hit return.

Then pick up at Step 5 for these instructions (http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5883).

Just follow my instructions. I was having the same issue. It's because you're entering it wrong b/c you can't see it and you think it's not working but it is.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 10:31 PM
Uh, you have openssh installed right?

Yes I have it installed

lorax3
Aug 4, 2010, 10:35 PM
Try installing Rock om iPhone. It may prompt you to change your password in iPhone. Normally is only asks when it detects the password is still 'alpine' but it is worth a shot.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 10:38 PM
Try installing Rock om iPhone. It may prompt you to change your password in iPhone. Normally is only asks when it detects the password is still 'alpine' but it is worth a shot.

I have rock already

tempusfugit
Aug 4, 2010, 10:45 PM

/thread

Everyone, you're helping someone who probably stole an iPhone.

Blorzoga
Aug 4, 2010, 10:46 PM
I hope your phone is bricked

alectheking
I have rock already

Then you probably changed it to something and didn't realize. It's the first thing Rock does upon installing is ask you to change it.

Applejuiced
The password is Applejuiced

Intell
Aug 4, 2010, 10:47 PM
Try your iTunes password. The one you use to install apps and such.

orpheus1120
Aug 4, 2010, 10:49 PM
/thread

That.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 10:50 PM
/thread

No I did not steal this phone I paid for it I don't want to be bothered with doing a full restore. Why would you jump to the conclusion that I stole it. Jeez!!

lorax3
Aug 4, 2010, 10:52 PM
What exactly are you typing into mobile terminal? step by step?

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzDB52lKlc8

nbuubu
Aug 4, 2010, 10:55 PM
You sure Rock asks you to change your root password to something other than alpine? I've used it on my iPad and now my newly JB iPhone 4, and it's never asked me to change anything.

Applejuiced
Aug 4, 2010, 10:56 PM
So let me get this.
You didnt change your password before?
The default pasword for every iphone and ipod touch is alpine but when it comes to yours is not?
Doesnt make much sense....

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 10:56 PM
What exactly are you typing into mobile terminal? step by step?

Or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wzDB52lKlc8

I type in su hit enter then type alpine and it tells me incorrect password. I guess I shouldn't be too worried the main reason I wanted to change it was so that no one would be able to hack into my phone.....if I can't get into then I guess no one else can lol.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 10:58 PM
So let me get this.
You didnt change your password before?
The default pasword for every iphone and ipod touch is alpine but when it comes to yours is not?
Doesnt make much sense....

Yes I am positive I have not changed it I have tried everything to get into the stupid thing and it's not gonna happen.

Intell
Aug 4, 2010, 11:00 PM
Bacon is really good.

Applejuiced
Aug 4, 2010, 11:03 PM
Yes I am positive I have not changed it I have tried everything to get into the stupid thing and it's not gonna happen.

It doesnt make sense.
Think about "if" you changed it what would you have changed it to?
Do you have a few default passwords that you use on mostly everything like email logins, websites etc...
Try some of those and see incase you did change it with Rock and you dont remember.
But either way, no big deal.

lorax3
Aug 4, 2010, 11:14 PM
And what is the reason you cannot restore?

If you are worried about people hacking into your phone, then you should uninstall ssh

jayeskreezy
Aug 4, 2010, 11:16 PM
I have rock already

yeah I might have to agree with the last poster. we all just gave you instructions-even with a link. Either you aren't really computer saavy and step by step directions with pics don't work for you or you're doing something illegally.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 11:17 PM
And what is the reason you cannot restore?

If you are worried about people hacking into your phone, then you should uninstall ssh

I didn't want to do a restore because I did not want to have to start over but it looks like I don't have a choice now I went to reboot my phone and it got stuck on the apple screen so I had no choice but restore it....I am not even sure I will bother jailbreaking it again after all of this.

lorax3
Aug 4, 2010, 11:19 PM
Do you have a few default passwords that you use on mostly everything like email logins, websites etc...

ROFL. Not sure if he remembers ;)

Applejuiced
Aug 4, 2010, 11:19 PM

LMAO :D

....I am not even sure I will bother jailbreaking it again after all of this.

Yes, you should not bother.
You're not really good at it.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 11:20 PM

"HE" is a SHE thank you very much.

spiceykim
Aug 4, 2010, 11:21 PM
LMAO :D

Yes, you should not bother.
You're not really good at it.

You're right I am not very good at it but I am willing to learn :rolleyes:

jayeskreezy
Aug 4, 2010, 11:22 PM
I type in su hit enter then type alpine and it tells me incorrect password. I guess I shouldn't be too worried the main reason I wanted to change it was so that no one would be able to hack into my phone.....if I can't get into then I guess no one else can lol.

when you type alpine can u see it typing alpine? if so, you're entering it in the wrong part. If you're doing this on ios4 you will NOT see alpine being typed in even though it actually is being typed in.

I just did two phones tonight on ios4 and I thought it didn't work either, but that's because I thought I had to see the alpine being typed in.

Kabir8
Aug 4, 2010, 11:46 PM
I'm having the same "alpine" issue.

Do I need to go through Terminal to make this work.

I have SBSetting, OpenSSH, everything toggled on, cyberduck ready to go, but password fails. root/alpine not working :confused:

Halp.

Intell
Aug 4, 2010, 11:52 PM
This is what I do to change my passwords:

login
login:root
Password:alpine (You will not see the text being typed out)
passwd
New password: [enter new password] (You will not see the text being typed out)
Retype new password: [retype new password] (You will not see the text being typed out)
login
login: mobile
password: alpine (You will not see the text being typed out)
passwd
Retype new password: [retype new password] (You will not see the text being typed out)

All done.

If it asks for an old password use alpine.

Kabir8
Aug 5, 2010, 12:06 AM
This is what I do to change my passwords:

login
login:root
Password:alpine (You will not see the text being typed out)
passwd
login
login: mobile
password: alpine (You will not see the text being typed out)
passwd

All done.

If it asks for an old password use alpine.

This doesn't work as it doesn't recognize alpine as a correct password.

murdercitydevil
Aug 5, 2010, 12:47 AM
Possible scenarios:

1. (most likely) OP stole the phone from someone who had already changed the password (good for them).
2. Someone accessed your phone through SSH without your knowing and changed the password themselves.
3. You DID change it and don't remember.
4. You have a magical iPhone where the root password is still "dottie"

capn7
Aug 5, 2010, 01:03 AM
username: root
password: alpine
port: 22

Kabir8
Aug 5, 2010, 02:24 AM
Possible scenarios:

1. (most likely) OP stole the phone from someone who had already changed the password (good for them).
2. Someone accessed your phone through SSH without your knowing and changed the password themselves.
3. You DID change it and don't remember.
4. You have a magical iPhone where the root password is still "dottie"

Well I'm not the OP and I bought my 32gb after making a reservation the first day.
I tried the mobile/dottie usernames and passes. I just installed SSH yesterday, and nobody has ever had access to my phone but me.

I never recall changing a password, I don't know what I could be doing wrong in CyberDuck or is there some supplementary Cydia app that I need to get for this?

EDIT: system password works with username root.

jayeskreezy
Aug 5, 2010, 02:25 AM
I'm having the same "alpine" issue.

Do I need to go through Terminal to make this work.

I have SBSetting, OpenSSH, everything toggled on, cyberduck ready to go, but password fails. root/alpine not working :confused:

Halp.
http://iclarified.com/entry/index.php?enid=5883

ivandr
Aug 5, 2010, 03:42 AM
Well I started off in the thread with this issue but someone who mentioned rock prompting you to change defaults was right. I forgot that rock had prompted that (was JB late at night and just zombied my way though some of the installs...)
I tried another password that I tend to use for hardware logins and Voila!
So to the OP maybe try a password you may have entered while installing rock...

brittie
Oct 11, 2012, 04:49 PM
This is a bit outdated but I stumbled on this forum when I had this same problem with my root password. It was driving me crazy because I had just done a restore and I could not figure out why my password was not working. I found the solution though and I hope it helps others because I looked everywhere and I tried every password I have ever used for anything. Anyway, I use ifunbox for my SSH needs, I am assuming as part of the ifunbox procedures it resets your password or something else did; but open ifunbox, go to help -> troubleshoot ->show openSSH password. Voila. I used that incredibly long alphanumeric number it showed and it worked like a charm. Then I could run the passwd step to change the password to something I could remember