Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

jooface

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 1, 2010
I know a lot of people are looking for some really good pictures of the antiglare film and see how much the quality is actually degraded. Enclosed are some HD pics that my roommate took next to his iphone without ANY screen protection.

My thoughts:
The quality is degraded (surprise it's antiglare, that's how it works so don't complain about it and compare it to the crystal clear because that's not what it is) but at the same time the feel is VERY similar to the same antiglare film for the iphone 3g/3gs. Also I was using my phone right after I had a nice greasy dinner and that's what the screen looks like. For me the deal breaker is the feel of the screen (for me). However I was really surprised how much the quality of the retina display is still retained.

The question is just are you willing to sacrifice the quality for the antiglare feel/no fingerprints/antiglare. For me, I'm sold.

Other comments:
The protector is EXTREMELY easy to apply. I took 10 minutes and the adhesive back is split into several sections (not just halves) so that you can align one section and realign easily until its even and then apply the whole thing. I had ZERO problems with bubbles.

Overall I think the loss in quality is worth it because I hate the feel of the naked glass, if you don't have a problem with it, go with the crystal film. That's the bottom line. I hope there isn't argument because it's kind of moot to keep saying you prefer the crystal. I'm just posting so that people like me (who prefer the antiglare) can see what it looks like before they buy.

chanerz

macrumors 68000
Jul 7, 2010
Nice review man. I hate fingerprints so i took of my ps crystal and put the anti glare instead. It's really not thay bad, and now i rarely clean my screen.

addi son

macrumors newbie
Aug 4, 2010
I know a lot of people are looking for some really good pictures of the antiglare film and see how much the quality is actually degraded. Enclosed are some HD pics that my roommate took next to his iphone without ANY screen protection.

My thoughts:
The quality is degraded (surprise it's antiglare, that's how it works so don't complain about it and compare it to the crystal clear because that's not what it is) but at the same time the feel is VERY similar to the same antiglare film for the iphone 3g/3gs. Also I was using my phone right after I had a nice greasy dinner and that's what the screen looks like. For me the deal breaker is the feel of the screen (for me). However I was really surprised how much the quality of the retina display is still retained.

The question is just are you willing to sacrifice the quality for the antiglare feel/no fingerprints/antiglare. For me, I'm sold.

Other comments:
The protector is EXTREMELY easy to apply. I took 10 minutes and the adhesive back is split into several sections (not just halves) so that you can align one section and realign easily until its even and then apply the whole thing. I had ZERO problems with bubbles.

Overall I think the loss in quality is worth it because I hate the feel of the naked glass, if you don't have a problem with it, go with the crystal film. That's the bottom line. I hope there isn't argument because it's kind of moot to keep saying you prefer the crystal. I'm just posting so that people like me (who prefer the antiglare) can see what it looks like before they buy.

I'd just clean it with a damp cloth and let it dry. Should be fine, try to get more information but i'm sure it would be fine like that as long as it does not collide with any of the electricals.

LAS22

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2008
2 THUMBS up for the review and pictures.

I'm still looking forward for real world experiences on the PS Anti Glare HD. Still interested to see and seems the results look similar to my SGP Anti Fingerprint.

Hennesie2000

macrumors 68000
Sep 29, 2007
Maryland
I put the PS anti glare on my phone and the crystal on my wife's... there is definitely a small quality loss with the anti-glare but for me it is worth it... im a guy.. I sweat and my skin gets oily so the sans smudge and finger print feature of the anti-glare is a huge plus.

For women it helps keep makeup off the screen.

cheapa55

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2007
Thanks for the pics. Did it change the color of the screen or is your white just different than the other phone?

I'm still undecided which one to get. :(

Dex4788

macrumors member
Nov 29, 2008
Your pics are very much appreciated. Seems like the antiglare doesn't suffer too much when there's a lot of colors, but once a splash of white comes on, you start to really see the sparkle effect.

I'm still torn on whether to get this or the crystal. I'm baffled at how much issues people seem to have with smudges and prints. I don't remember having such an annoying amount with my 3GS Power Support Crystal.

ItsJustafnPhone

macrumors 6502a
Jul 26, 2010
First off thank you for the pictures

Your pics are very much appreciated. Seems like the antiglare doesn't suffer too much when there's a lot of colors, but once a splash of white comes on, you start to really see the sparkle effect.

agreed these two pictures right here pretty much made me give up on the whole matte screen protector .. that is just waay much of a hit on screen quality for my tastes

maus

macrumors regular
Apr 17, 2010
I was watching some videos on the bus today and was so distracted by the glare/reflection on my screen. I decided then and there that I was going to have to get an anti-glare film. Thanks for the review and the pics. Looks like a good product.

menehune

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2010
dude i don't know what happened but when i double clicked on the pics to make it bigger, a pop up window appeared with a video of a lady undressing. did anyone actually open the pics and not have this happen to them?

ndtechie05

macrumors member
Mar 9, 2005

Agreed, without seeing it in person it makes me think I'm looking at a 3GS screen, no?

paulmacbeth

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I've also installed this on my iPhone 4, after having an invisible shield on. Changed to powersupport as soon as it was available in the uk, based on my experience of it on my 3GS.

Again, it does take a little of the sharpness of the display away, but the feel is so much better than the IS. The packaging I received was in Japanese, and didn't have the backing in 3 pieces, just the one piece.

I'm the worlds worst at installing these, and even I managed to make an ok job at the second attempt (one small bubble at the very top right of the phone, partially covered by the bumper).

My bumper caused a little bit of bubbling on my IS on the right side of the phone. No such problem with the powersupport.

Excellent choice for those who hate cleaning fingerprints every day!

Keats-dk

macrumors newbie
Jun 29, 2010
Glasgow
I've also installed this on my iPhone 4, after having an invisible shield on. Changed to powersupport as soon as it was available in the uk, based on my experience of it on my 3GS.

Again, it does take a little of the sharpness of the display away, but the feel is so much better than the IS. The packaging I received was in Japanese, and didn't have the backing in 3 pieces, just the one piece.

I'm the worlds worst at installing these, and even I managed to make an ok job at the second attempt (one small bubble at the very top right of the phone, partially covered by the bumper).

My bumper caused a little bit of bubbling on my IS on the right side of the phone. No such problem with the powersupport.

Excellent choice for those who hate cleaning fingerprints every day!

Where in the uk is the power support for iphone 4 available?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.