PDA

View Full Version : About to take the G5 in for repairs... what precautions should I take?

2A Batterie
Nov 23, 2004, 01:08 PM
As with many Dual2.0 REvA G5's, mine needs a new PSU as the current one is way too noisey. What should I do prior to taking the G5 to the Apple Store, specifically in regards to backup? Will all of my settings be wiped out? What are the chances of my hard drive being wiped? I'd back up the whole thing, but I only have 40gb free on my external drive. Any tips?

jxyama
Nov 23, 2004, 01:54 PM
i would definitely back up your HD. they may wipe it - who knows? but why take a chance?

jsw
Nov 23, 2004, 01:58 PM
DE-AUTHORIZE iTunes and back up any purchased songs (on more than just your iPod)!

Sorry to shout, but it takes 5 seconds to do and saves a lot of hassle should they swap your system. Which they will do only if you forget to de-authorize iTunes. ;-)

You can then reauthorize it when you get the system back.

bousozoku
Nov 23, 2004, 03:44 PM
At least, back up your user space. Even if you have to re-install applications, it's tough to re-install your data without a good backup.

rdowns
Nov 23, 2004, 07:17 PM
Take photos of your machine with today's newspaper in it. Many reports of Apple damaging machines during repairs.

Mechcozmo
Nov 23, 2004, 08:27 PM
Back it up, make a note of all the specs of it (if they swap the motherboard and forget your RAM :eek: )

I would also recommend taking pictures of it, from all sides so that you can see if they dent/scratch it. Also make sure you don't send a CD with it... that could be bad. I almost sold a CD drive with a friend's CD in it, never forgot that moment.

diamond geezer
Nov 24, 2004, 07:18 PM
Remove your hard drive before taking it in.

It is not required for the repair or testing.