Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Unspeaked

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Dec 29, 2003
West Coast
LINK

Wife discovers husband's second wedding on Facebook

by Myrna Holguin

Lynn France looked up the name of the woman with whom she believed her husband was having an affair on Facebook and was surprise to discover wedding photos on the woman's page. France already suspected her husband of cheating, but it shocked her to see pictures of him getting married to another woman while he was still married to her.

According to the Associated Press, France checked the woman's Facebook page, which was then open to the public. There, France found evidence of an ongoing relationship between the woman and her husband. When France confronted her husband, he denied going through with a wedding.

France began divorce proceedings.

"People who engage in these sorts of behaviors now have the option of trying to keep things private or turning it into a spectacle and becoming their own reality show," says lawyer Andrew Zashin, a child custody expert who is representing Lynn France.

New York laws require couples who divorce on the grounds of infidelity to provide proof of the marital discretion. In the current age of Facebook and Twitter, its difficult for people to maintain their privacy. Marital discretions are much easier to track through incriminating e-mails or text messages, especially if photos are published online.

However, experts don't recommend people to snoop around online to prove a spouse is cheating. Logging into a spouse's Facebook page without permission can backfire in court.

dXTC

macrumors 68020
Oct 30, 2006
Up, up in my studio, studio
If anything deserves the Picard Facepalm pic, this one does.

As for myself, I'm protected at three levels from this sort of calamity:
  • I don't text.
  • I don't have a Facebook account.
  • And most importantly by far, I'm faithful to my wife. Who says fidelity is overrated? :D

EDIT: I realized that some not-so-smart phones have texting capabilities, so I altered my first statement. The fact that I don't text still stands.

lbro

macrumors 6502a
Jan 22, 2009
Another reason among the ever growing list of why to not have facebook.

aloofman

macrumors 68020
Dec 17, 2002
Socal
More amazing to me was what had happened to the wife earlier: she suspected her husband was cheating on her, but he was unfazed because he claimed that their marriage was never legal in the first place. When your husband insists that you're not really married to him, THAT'S when you start divorce proceedings.

kuruption

macrumors member
Mar 29, 2008
Although a lot of the responses on here are to not have Facebook, isn't the point of this story that the second wife was the one with a public facebook account? So even if the husband didn't have facebook and the first wife didn't have facebook either then the first wife could still see the second wife's facebook photos as they were totally public.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I don't text and I don't have Facebook. Interesting story though :D Also, on CollegeHumor I saw one conversation where one Mum was sure that this kid with the same name and in roughly the same location was her son...she was being really 'Mum-like' (you know what that means) to him. It must've really creeped him out!

RayStar

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
The second so-called wife needs a swift lesson in not messing with another woman's children. I did not like how she had so much to say about the first wife, Better yet the legal wife. This man is awful!

Ttownbeast

macrumors 65816
May 10, 2009
So this topic is basically being used as a reason to slam the concept of social networking rather than discuss the issue of polygamy?

It's not Facebooks fault this guy is a polygamist. Don't like facebook? fine don't join because after all it's all their fault for making you join and making you give all your information out right? Oh the horror.....they must have hacked your computer wrote your whole profile for you and put those pics of your spring break tequila fueled sex binge out there for the world to see!

If you don't want the pics of the donkey show you watched in Tijuana posted it is probably not a good idea for you to post them. If you don't want your birthday or your work info known when signing up for one of these things the DON'T provide the data. You are still in control.

The reality is the dude is just stupid and I bet he'll try and blame Facebook for it too, "but baby it's all Facebooks fault--they didn't keep the data i posted private otherwise you wouldn't have found out about my other wife!"

notjustjay

macrumors 603
Sep 19, 2003
Canada, eh?
So this topic is basically being used as a reason to slam the concept of social networking rather than discuss the issue of polygamy?

The reality is the dude is just stupid and I bet he'll try and blame Facebook for it too, "but baby it's all Facebooks fault--they didn't keep the data i posted private otherwise you wouldn't have found out about my other wife!"

Well, polygamy exists and has since the dawn of time. That certainly doesn't make it right or acceptable, and society is still, as a whole, shocked and titillated when we hear about them -- Tiger Woods anyone?

The social-networking aspect of this particular story is what makes it new and different from the archetypical "he cheated on me" story that we've all heard before. In addition to differentiating this case enough to make it a high-profile story, it also serves as a good conversation starter about the concept of "privacy" in this day and age -- as we've seen in this thread.

I am concerned that we are raising up a generation of children and young adults who simply do not understand the concept of privacy as it relates to the internet (namely, that there is none!) Stories like this one (and Tiger's, too) hit that home. I also know personally of people who have been charged because they committed some crime and boasted about it or posted photos of it on a public sharing site. And I see, almost daily, photos or notes or status updates show up in my "feeds", posted from people on social network sites who almost certainly don't realize that the information they've just posted is available for the entire world to see.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
Lol

Nice one, guy.

But to use this as a reason to "not have facebook" is an interesting approach...

I think this is more a reason to not
-get married
-cheat if your married
-marry a moronic guy
-keep your facebook public
-etc...

patrick0brien

macrumors 68040
Oct 24, 2002
The West Loop
I don't think blame should be placed on Facebook, MySpace, or Twitter at all.

All these are are tools that allow already-stupid people more outlets for their stupidity.

Heck, we should appreciate these tools for outing the dumb ones earlier!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.