Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

EarlofCroydon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Just a thought here... My brother's 1st Gen iPod touch was I think the only iOS device not to receive iOS 4 just wondering are there ever going to be ANY software advances thrust upon it or is the old bird gonna' be left to die in the hands of the very few that still have it. Fantastic iPod by the way :apple:

gdkid2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Iowa
Just a thought here... My brother's 1st Gen iPod touch was I think the only iOS device not to receive iOS 4 just wondering are there ever going to be ANY software advances thrust upon it or is the old bird gonna' be left to die in the hands of the very few that still have it. Fantastic iPod by the way :apple:

I have that too. I HIGHLY DOUBT there will be any software updates that come along. It will be forgotten by Apple. And yes, fantastic iPod by the way. I like it better than the 2nd and 3rd generation. Better design... maybe not as fast but still better.

I actually jailbroke it with jailbreakme.com and I was surprised that it worked! It's KINDA slow but it's not too bad.

EarlofCroydon

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 4, 2010
Respect there sir, yeah I prefer the design also as a rule for older iOS stuff, iPhones included the boxes were 1200x better with padding and just overall better. Nowadays any Johnny Potatohead can go and buy one so there's no occasion to it. Shame really but alas yeah, maybe worth upgrading to a newer one then someday

gdkid2010

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2010
Iowa
I'll be updating this September because I want higher-res screen, faster processor, and kinda want a camera. And I NEED more space so hopefully it will have 64GB. Hopefully the squared design comes back so it won't be TOO different than the 1st gen (flat back).

SpencerShow

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2008
First Generation Pride! I absolutly loved my first generation touch. Sadly, it was stolen from me two months ago :( But I honeslty can say that thee flat design is much nicer. It jsut feels a lot better. Sure it was a little slower than the newer ones, but it wasnt that bad. I too jailbroke mine on 1.1 with jailbreakme.com Oh those were the days, when Tap Tap Revolution was actually fun. You could use any song you had on your iPod, when you tapped the screen it actually registered, ahh good times. It makes me sad. If I had had the chance, I wouldve downgraded to 1.1 and reinstalled TTR, but then i wouldnt be able to use all the new games. ;_; Goodnight Sweet Prince, you will be missed.

xhArRiSoNxD

macrumors regular
Jul 8, 2008
Massachusetts
I also have my First Gen and have been using it strong since it's release. I read that the iOS 3.0 software had like 60 something security flaws in it and Apple didn't even update the fFirst Gen.. So now i'm stuck with this until the Fourth Gen, can't wait.

I hope it has everything the iPhone 4 has, but without the phone respectively..

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.