Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Just bought a MBP (iMac died), and migrated my iMac user to my Mac Book Pro. I then copied the music folder from my old (iMac) user to my new MBP user folders (changing folder permission along the way to allow it).

iTunes works, with all music and album art there, but iTunes doesn't have the Apps folder in the Library pane (left side of iTunes window), nor does it have the Books and Ring Tones folder there either. My

I tried synching my iPhone, that didn't change anything. If I go back to the old user account, everything is fine in iTunes.

Any ideas?

Oh, if those wondering why I just don't stick with using the older user account from my iMac, the short name (also the home folder name) is "Sean iMac" -- apparently you can't change the short name in 10.6, the only thing you can do is make a new user and copy files over to that home folder, which is why I started this exercise.

I'm hoping I'm just being stupid and overlooking something obvious...

Galarina

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2009
The only thing I can think of is that you have different iTunes versions on your iMac and MBP. It's possible that the versions are not compatible.

Did you already try the Apple iTunes forum?

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
The only thing I can think of is that you have different iTunes versions on your iMac and MBP. It's possible that the versions are not compatible.

Did you already try the Apple iTunes forum?

Thx Galarina, given that it's the same machine, just different users, the it's same version of iTunes, so that doesn't work. I haven't sifted through the forum in the link you provided, I'll dig through there a little later in the day.

Thx for trying!

Sean

tgibeau

macrumors newbie
Jul 2, 2010
Hey Yzerguy,

I had a similar issue with this before. iTunes does not think you have any apps in your iTunes music folder. Actually did you copy "Mobile Applications" folder? If you did, then try to download a free app from the App Store. That should show the Apps on the left side library pane.

If all your apps done show up, the next thing you need to do is drag them into iTunes. Go to your home folder, then music, and then the "Mobile Applications" folder. Select all your apps, and drag them into the apps section of iTunes. Then you should be set!

Let me know if it works, or not. I have a few more tricks up my sleeve.

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Hey Yzerguy,

I had a similar issue with this before. iTunes does not think you have any apps in your iTunes music folder. Actually did you copy "Mobile Applications" folder? If you did, then try to download a free app from the App Store. That should show the Apps on the left side library pane.

If all your apps done show up, the next thing you need to do is drag them into iTunes. Go to your home folder, then music, and then the "Mobile Applications" folder. Select all your apps, and drag them into the apps section of iTunes. Then you should be set!

Thx tgibeau, yes, I did copy the "Mobile Applications" folder, in fact I just copied the whole music folder from my old user to the new one.

I will definitely try what you suggest with downloading a free app then dragging the other apps into iTunes when I'm back home tonight, will let you know how it goes.

V much appreciated on the feedback!

Sean

Yzerguy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Oct 13, 2007
Hey Yzerguy,

OK tgibeau, your solution worked, once I downloaded one free app, all of my other apps just showed up, didn't even need to drag them from the finder.

I'd hoped it would be something easy like that.

Thx again for your help, v. much appreciated.

Sean

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.