PDA

View Full Version : New SP PowerMac crashing

coconn06
Nov 23, 2004, 09:33 PM
Hi everyone,

I just got my new single 1.8GHz PowerMac, and I've having some problems. About once per day, I come back to my computer and it seems to be locked up. I can move the mouse around, but nothing responds to clicks, nor the keyboard.

I bought 1GB of RAM (not from Apple) that I've been using since I got the machine. When I first booted it, I ran the Apple hardware test (the shorter one) and it said everything was okay. So I tend to think it's not the RAM (which seems to usually cause this kind of problem).

Are there any other tests I should run? Does anyone suggest anything?

Thanks.

Sun Baked
Nov 23, 2004, 09:57 PM
Yes, remove the RAM -- and run fsck (or Disk First Aid) to remove any catalog/file system problems the freezes may have caused.

Bad RAM may pass all HW tests but freeze at odd times, this marginal memory can cause the HD to become corrupted.

Also check the system log to see if you can find anything in there.

coconn06
Nov 28, 2004, 07:15 PM
Yes, remove the RAM -- and run fsck (or Disk First Aid) to remove any catalog/file system problems the freezes may have caused.

Bad RAM may pass all HW tests but freeze at odd times, this marginal memory can cause the HD to become corrupted.

Also check the system log to see if you can find anything in there.

I removed the RAM, but I'm still experiencing the occasional crashes.

Should I now get in touch with Apple's support? Does anyone know of anything else I can try before the hassle of backing everything up and sending my new computer in?

Thanks again.

Sun Baked
Nov 28, 2004, 07:28 PM
You experience crashes running single DIMMs, with both of the DIMMs?

fsck and/or Disk First Aid didn't find any problems?

You didn't find anything in the system log?

Are you running any 3rd party system tweaks?

Are you running Hardware Monitor (the Bresink SW)?

Are you Folding/SETI?

Any 3rd party USB devices or FW devices plugged in, besides the Apple keyboard/mouse?

EDIT: Left out -- How about booting into Safe Mode... hold down the shift key on restart.

fsck -- hold down "command s", follow directions, they type "reboot"

DFA -- need to run from the CD, inside Disk Utilities

repair permissions -- run from the HD only, inside Disk Utilities