Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

goracheski

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 5, 2010
I am going to Germany next year and I would like to learn german so i need a good app, or podcast.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
I am going to Germany next year and I would like to learn german so i need a good app, or podcast.

I gave AccelaStudy German a try, but I don't think it's worth the $9.99 price tag. They have a unique approach that works, but the content is very limited, and they are yet to provide additional content through any updates. However, they have updated it to work with iOS 4 multitasking & iPhone 4's retina display.

I'd suggest giving their free version a try before looking into the paid version. It's a great app for the basic words, but it wont teach you sentence structure or anything like that.

So I, too, am interested in an app that'll help me learn German. I also wouldn't mind a good German phrasebook if anyone knows any good ones.

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
It's a shame you're not looking for an app for the desktop - I would've said Rosetta Stone if you were.

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
It's a shame you're not looking for an app for the desktop - I would've said Rosetta Stone if you were.

I wouldn't mind a Mac app, but Rosetta Stone is a little out of budget for me. I'm only learning German for personal use.

I'd prefer an iPhone app, but Mac apps work for me too! As long as they are affordable for someone who doesn't plan to become a German scholar ;)

R94N

macrumors 68020
May 30, 2010
UK
I wouldn't mind a Mac app, but Rosetta Stone is a little out of budget for me. I'm only learning German for personal use.

I'd prefer an iPhone app, but Mac apps work for me too! As long as they are affordable for someone who doesn't plan to become a German scholar ;)

Yeah, I had no idea how much it was. It just looked good from the ads and the reviews I read were pretty good as well :)

Mitchelino

macrumors 6502
Jun 24, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Another app that you might be interested in is TuneIn radio. Here me out lol. It's a radio app, yes, but there are many German radio stations on it. I listen to one of the German stations very often, as it plays great music. I find it helps me understand the language better. It's probably the cheapest way to hear real examples of Germans talking and singing.

There are lots of other radio apps that probably have German stations as well, so I suggest looking into radio apps if this is something you'd be interested in.

kgordon

macrumors newbie
May 2, 2011
Apps for specific parts of German

I haven't found an all encompassing app, so I use specific apps for learning specific parts of German. The German 24x7 Tutor apps are really good for building up vocab. And to help learn the German Prepositions (which can be a little tricky) I've been using "DE Prepositions" for the iPhone.

pmobile

macrumors newbie
Jun 18, 2012
Here is an android app that you can listen over 90 audio german lessons.

Google Play Link: Learn German by Listening!

hmdTDVfmRBh-595LOj4jgHujCIcrxmehBuEhozwK71a9foZ_D__zQbu5F7C5QSQsGqI=w124

jvengineers

macrumors newbie
May 23, 2012
Best Iphone application for learning german

You can try these apps:-
1.German-English Dictionary from Accio

2.Hello Word Deluxe German | English

duuro

macrumors newbie
Jul 12, 2013
Best free iOS app for learning German

Hello guys, i was having the same problem as you, when trying to find an app that will enable me to learn good German. My first problem were the German Nouns Der Die Das, i really struggled at the language course to learn them.

So that's why i decided to make an App for that.

Learn German Nouns Der Die Das will enable you to learn and memorize the gender of more than 1.000 German nouns. This collection contains the most commonly used German nouns and with the help of it, you will master Der Die Das in no time, i can guarantee you that!

Other than just being a teaching and learning app, i wanted to make it fun. That's why i included a experience system in it. For each noun you get right, you gain experience.

Learn German Nouns Der Die Das is the simplest way to learn german words by playing and having fun.

With 3 different game types and with more than 1000 words, this app will be your new best German friend.

Learn German Nouns contains 3 game modes:

Time Trial
Word Rush
Endurance

Give it a try and contact me at perjan@duuro.com.
Thanks for trying it and i hope it really helps you.

mickmcg

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2013

Hi goracheski, I'm not long back from my 2nd time to Germany and I was after the same thing. I did some research and found a series of iPhone apps that worked really well. The apps are called Earworms and they use a different technique with music to help you learn the language. I found them to be the best I've seen and it's pretty easy to pick it up. Just allow yourself a few weeks to run the app before you travel. Here the App Store link to the German App. https://itunes.apple.com/gb/app/rapid-german-volume-1/id396412556?mt=8 Hope it helps

xArtx

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2012
Ramstein, iPod, Lyrics.
I actually made an app for that,
and you'd be surprised.

Then I changed Siri's language to German, bet you didn't think of that.
If you stuff it up, she won't recognise you.

You can use Siri to start your Rammstein tracks in the iPod library,
because you can't start them in English.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.