PDA

View Full Version : App Wants Access To My iPhone Address Book??!

thehook
Aug 6, 2010, 02:30 AM
I just downloaded the "WhatsApp" SMS application. Before the application will launch it is asking access to my address book. When I open the App I immediately get this message, "WhatsApp requires address book integration to work properly". If I deny authorization the app will not start.

Is it safe to allow this App access to my personal contact data? I don't want my contacts receiving spam etc.. Thanks!

Turkeywrap
Aug 6, 2010, 02:33 AM
I just downloaded the "WhatsApp" SMS application. Before the application will launch it is asking access to my address book. When I open the app I immediately get this message, "WhatsApp requires address book integration to work properly". If I deny authorization the app will not start.

Is it safe to allow this App access to my personal contact data? I don't want my contacts receiving spam etc.. Thanks!

Jailbreak App I assume?

thehook
Aug 6, 2010, 02:36 AM
I downloaded the App directly through iTunes.

Eso
Aug 6, 2010, 02:36 AM
It's actually not required to work properly.

Just deny authorization and the app will start normally. Now, to send a text message just copy the phone number into the app. When you get a reply, it will actually be received by the default SMS app on the iPhone. Simply touch and hold the new text message, wait for the pop up, and forward the message to yourself. When you receive that, just copy/paste it into WhatsApp. Now you can send your reply back to the original sender.

ChazUK
Aug 6, 2010, 02:38 AM
Jailbreak App I assume?

Doesn't seem to be: http://itunes.apple.com/app/whatsapp-messenger/id310633997?mt=8

I'd assume it needs access to your address book for sending messages and checking who they're from.

Turkeywrap
Aug 6, 2010, 02:38 AM
I downloaded the App directly through iTunes.

Should be fine then if Apple approved it.

thehook
Aug 6, 2010, 02:40 AM
Thanks, but when I deny authorization the App refuses to start. I was hoping I could pick and choose the contacts I want to SMS. When I deny access I receive this message, "WhatsApp requires address book integration to function properly". Then, I get back to the "allow" "deny" message.

It's actually not required to work properly.

Just deny authorization and the app will start normally. Now, to send a text message just copy the phone number into the app. When you get a reply, it will actually be received by the default SMS app on the iPhone. Simply touch and hold the new text message, wait for the pop up, and forward the message to yourself. When you receive that, just copy/paste it into WhatsApp. Now you can send your reply back to the original sender.

Eso
Aug 6, 2010, 02:47 AM
Thanks, but when I deny authorization the App refuses to start. I was hoping I could pick and choose the contacts I want to SMS. When I deny access I receive this message, "WhatsApp requires address book integration to function properly". Then, I get back to the "allow" "deny" message.

Yes - when you deny the authorization the app will load normally.

thehook
Aug 6, 2010, 02:53 AM

Mine doesn't. Mine stays in a constant loop of requesting access and, if denied, will not start. Perhaps a newer version.

Eso
Aug 6, 2010, 02:56 AM
Mine doesn't. Mine stays in a constant loop of requesting access and if denied will not start. Perhaps a newer version.

You might have a faulty unit. Call Apple Care tomorrow or take it in to the Genius bar in the Apple store. Just demonstrate how it's not working so they can figure out which sensor isn't working.

thehook
Aug 6, 2010, 02:59 AM

You might have a faulty unit. Call Apple Care tomorrow or take it in to the Genius bar in the Apple store. Just demonstrate how it's not working so they can figure out which sensor isn't working.

lol... You've got to be kidding me. It's not a hardware issue, it's an App issue. Duh.. The App in question is called "WhatsApp".

ChazUK
Aug 6, 2010, 03:00 AM
lol... y
You've got to be kidding me. It's not a hardware issue, it's an App issue. Duh..

Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? You could always contact the developers for support too.

thehook
Aug 6, 2010, 03:07 AM
Have you tried uninstalling and reinstalling the app? You could always contact the developers for support too.

Just deleted and reinstalled but I get more of the same. If I don't allow full access to my address book the App never starts.

boricuazo
Aug 6, 2010, 03:29 AM
The app needs your contact numbers to determine who in your phonebook also has the app. The app will then group them under its Favorites section. It is like a Blackberry Messenger, but without PINs or user names. Once you add a friend (who has Whatsapp) to your phonebook, the app will automatically add him on the list inside the app. I love the Whatsapp, use it all the time. :)

cirial
Aug 6, 2010, 05:50 AM
Should be fine then if Apple approved it.

Oh because Apple is just soo thorough with there approval process :D

Deanoaka
Aug 6, 2010, 06:09 AM
WhatsApp has never sent any spam to my friends. I use it all the time and is very safe, trust me!

LaunchpadBS
Aug 6, 2010, 06:31 AM
It uses you adress contacts to find other people using WhatsApp, You can chat to ppl around the world for free, no usernames etc, as long as u have that persons number in ur contacts and they have whatsapp u can chat.
I use it to chat to my mates back in SA, they're all on BB but they can get WhatsApp aswell, it's cool, pretty much BB messenger for the iPhone.

manishd3
Aug 6, 2010, 06:48 AM
The app needs your contact numbers to determine who in your phonebook also has the app. The app will then group them under its Favorites section. It is like a Blackberry Messenger, but without PINs or user names. Once you add a friend (who has Whatsapp) to your phonebook, the app will automatically add him on the list inside the app. I love the Whatsapp, use it all the time. :)

Seriously, this guy's got it spot on. The app needs to check from your address book who's got the app installed.

There's nothing dodgy about it, I've been using the app for ages (it's one of my favourites).