PDA

View Full Version : Advertising vs: forum policy

CanadaRAM
Nov 24, 2004, 12:45 AM
MacRumors does not tolerate postings for "free iPods" or "$200 Powerbook 17" scams. However, the Google ads sometimes post the same kind of sleazy schemes:

Free Dell Laptop
USA Product Testers Needed. Receipt Guaranteed! 18+ only.

Free Apple iBook laptop
Test & Keep an Apple ibook notebook computer. Marketing Research. Aff

Can MacRumors exercise policy on Google ads?

BTW: It's also ridiculous for the banners on the *Mac*Rumors archive to feature "You have spyware!" ads directed at Windows-gullibles.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

MoparShaha
Nov 24, 2004, 01:34 AM
Why should it bother you? These ads pay for this site. I understand your frustration, but we're all smart enough not to fall for that junk, and if it keeps the servers running, why not?

SilentPanda
Nov 24, 2004, 07:00 AM
Mainly they don't want the forum posts competing with the ads...

Ok not really.

MacRumors has little to no control over the ads. Most ad services I've set up allow you to choose categories but not hand pick individual ads. Most likely MacRumors has "computers" as one of it's chosen categories and unfortunately "Free iPods" are all the rage right now... it'll pass.

If you don't like the ads you're always welcome to pay for a MacRumors membership.

jeremy.king
Nov 24, 2004, 10:40 AM
Why should it bother you? These ads pay for this site. I understand your frustration, but we're all smart enough not to fall for that junk, and if it keeps the servers running, why not?

Not necessarily, many advertisers (Google AdSense, for example) require clickthroughs before you get paid. Impression based revenue is becoming a thing of the past.

Either way, I use FireFox with AdBlock to take care of them.

Doctor Q
Nov 24, 2004, 10:48 AM
Can MacRumors exercise policy on Google ads?No, and that's unfortunate.

Savage Henry
Nov 24, 2004, 11:38 AM
...I use FireFox with AdBlock to take care of them.

Is that with Firefox 1.0 or an earlier version, cos I just put it on v1.0 and I'm still being offered free iBooks and Guitar Lessons !!

edesignuk
Nov 24, 2004, 11:42 AM
Is that with Firefox 1.0 or an earlier version, cos I just put it on v1.0 and I'm still being offered free iBooks and Guitar Lessons !!
Put this (http://tracker.yo-momma.net/tracker.php?id=12) CSS file in your Firefox profile folder/Chrome (sorry, not at my Mac so can't tell you specific path), and call the file userContent.css.

Restart Firefox, bingo :D

jeremy.king
Nov 24, 2004, 11:55 AM

Yes its 1.0 but you have to configure it to block.

Usually I will right click an ad, then choose Adblock image. This will bring up a dialog where you can block that image, or block anything following the URL pattern that you enter.

For example, I block "http://a.tribalfusion.com/*" amongst many others.

Savage Henry
Nov 24, 2004, 12:06 PM
edesignuk , kingjr3

Cheers guys ...... but now I'll never get to my Grade 5 Guitar Certification

Small price to pay ... ;)

Knox
Nov 24, 2004, 12:27 PM
No, and that's unfortunate.

You can block specific sites from appearing in Google adverts using the interface. Although of course a similar site may appear in its place, but in my experience they usually run out of similar ones eventually.

Mechcozmo
Nov 24, 2004, 06:10 PM
Lol! Look what Google has given has in return for this thread's posts!

http://forums.macrumors.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=19072&stc=1
:eek: :D :) :)

You become what you are attempting to destroy...