Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iDisk

macrumors 6502a
Jan 2, 2010
Menlo Park, CA
Hopefully it's true...

https://www.macrumors.com/2010/08/0...smaller-ipod-nano-two-new-macbook-air-models/

And hopefully they'll offer more pixels, not less. My favorite would be 13.3" with full HD display, or 15.4" with the same. i3/i5/i7 would be nice, but I don't really care about anything else than a more 2010-like screen, spec-wise.

You post a link to the Main Page where the article is on :confused: :rolleyes:........ Anyway in regards to your thread, all I have to say is.

" Not to Worry " ;)

Burnincoco

macrumors regular
May 6, 2007
They'll have this processors

i3-330M 2.13 GHz 2 cores
i3-350M 2.26 GHz 2 cores

possibly this as a BTO option

i3-370M 2.4 GHz 2cores

And only SSDs

ozreth

macrumors 65816
Nov 5, 2009
All I ask for:

13"
i3
4gb ram
320m
around 120gb SSD
$1,400 maximum.

Zulu1

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2010
All I ask for:

13"
i3
4gb ram
320m
around 120gb SSD
$1,400 maximum.

I am right there with you (I'd like 8 G or RAM though), I've been waiting three months one more might just kill me; but they say GOOD THINGs come to those who wait.....

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I3 and 320M isn't possible, sorry to sink your boat.

Apple won't use an i3 in the MBA for the same reason they didn't use one in the 13" MBP. If you want integrated graphics with a core i3 you HAVE to use the Intel HD Graphics, which suck. Apple wouldn't do that, it would leave them with a machine worse than this rev.

I guess maybe a 2.13 C2D low end and 2.26 high end. 4Gb ram in high end. 320M graphics In both.

Oh. And $1400 ? All I can say is... Hahahahaha. You have more luck winning the lottery this weekend ;)

macbook123

macrumors 68000
Original poster
Feb 11, 2006
PS: I forgot to add that I'm really hoping that the bezel will be narrower and please please no horrid mirror glass cover like they tried on the MBP's...

They could easily fit a 1440x900 or even 1920x1080 display in there, like the Sony Vaio Z...

The higher the resolution, the better legibility of fonts, crispness of pictures, etc. Please don't start whining about small fonts, this is a software issue that can be controlled by setting a minimal font size in most relevant applications.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
I think they will bring prices down by using the Core i3/i5/i7 ULV processors, not the usual notebook CPU's.

Well, they will do that, sort off, because these ULV processors will be powerful enough to do the work they need to do.

Apple knows the problems about heating. This is an excellent solution for the lightweight laptop.

FuNGi

macrumors 65816
Feb 26, 2010
California
So maybe a proprietary ULV i5, 2.++ Ghz with an option for 4Gb ram (finally) in the high end, and a 320M switchable graphics card. Sounds good to me if it's 11 or 13 inches as long as we can slip in at least 250GB to boot. I expect the battery life to increase to around 5 hours on this one, not due to a larger design, only more efficient as we've seen in the recent MBP updates from 5 to 7 to 9 hours of work time.

I actually don't expect much of a complete body redesign. I think it will be more subtle. What do you think snowflake? :apple:

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
They can't put switchable graphics in because there is not enough room for 2 GPUs.

Mark my words. They will NOT use core i3/5/7 because this means they have to use the Intel HD Graphics, and they suck.

Apple will use a core 2 duo and the 320M integrated graphics. PLEASE stop posting saying they will use an i3 or other I processor, because it will NOT happen.

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
They can't put switchable graphics in because there is not enough room for 2 GPUs.

Mark my words. They will NOT use core i3/5/7 because this means they have to use the Intel HD Graphics, and they suck.

Apple will use a core 2 duo and the 320M integrated graphics. PLEASE stop posting saying they will use an i3 or other I processor, because it will NOT happen.

So they can only use nvidia? Nonsens.

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On

Ok lets make a bet cuz i am pretty sure an arrandale ulv will be in there.

If i lose and they stick to c2d you have the right to delete me from this forum and block my email and ip so i cannot sign up anymore. But on the other hand if i win and they put anything else but c2d in there then i get the demi god status and you get macrumors regular status.
If you are so sure about them sticking to c2d in the upcoming revision of MBA then take my bet. If not then silence and let other members express their own ideas

Snowcake

macrumors regular
May 18, 2010
Ok lets make a bet cuz i am pretty sure an arrandale ulv will be in there.

If i lose and they stick to c2d you have the right to delete me from this forum and block my email and ip so i cannot sign up anymore. But on the other hand if i win and they put anything else but c2d in there then i get the demi god status and you get macrumors regular status.
If you are so sure about them sticking to c2d in the upcoming revision of MBA then take my bet. If not then silence and let other members express their own ideas

He is scared that he gets Intel integrated graphics.

Sometimes in difficult situations you have to make choices.
What is more important? Battery life, less heat or a little bit less graphical performance?

The air is designed with the thought of mobility.

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
Funny thing snow cake, I'm only hear to help. I'm not buying a MBA.

Its not a little worse. The intel graphics are worse than the 9400M which is ridiculous. And there are LEGAL PATENT ISSUES that PREVENT any manufacturer from using any INTEGRATED graphics such as the 320M in a machine which sports the core I series of processors. This is a legal fact.

This is the reason apple didn't use it in the MBP, because the intel graphics suck, and there isn't room in there to put in an additional discrete GPU like they do in the 15" and 17".

Oh and ermir444. I'm not a mod... And I'm not stopping anyone from expressing their ideas, I'm just stating the facts that this wouldn't happen, apple wouldn't make a machine like that worse. Ive agreed with other peoples ideas about them making it a more solid shape like the iphone 4, and its my idea that they wouldn't use glass, because it would add a lot of weight.

P.S. I have the intel graphics and the dedicated 330M in my MacBook Pro. The intel graphics suck so bad, screensavers lag, as do some standard os x things such as exposé. I'm sure people would agree with me if they've actually checked for themselves.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I wish Apple waited for Sandy Bridge, otherwise it's either C2D + 320M or iX + Intel IGP. Sandy Bridge's IGP is big improvement so it should be fine as GPU. To be honest, I couldn't care less about the CPU and GPU, the current ones are just fine for me. I would like to see 4GB RAM and better battery plus SSD in all models, then I'm fine. Price cut would be nice too.

If this rumor is true, I'm guessing C2D + 320M combo because that's what 13"ers have. Then early 2011 update with iX

TheBritishBloke

macrumors 68030
Jul 21, 2009
United Kingdom
I wish Apple waited for Sandy Bridge, otherwise it's either C2D + 320M or iX + Intel IGP. Sandy Bridge's IGP is big improvement so it should be fine as GPU. To be honest, I couldn't care less about the CPU and GPU, the current ones are just fine for me. I would like to see 4GB RAM and better battery plus SSD in all models, then I'm fine. Price cut would be nice too.

If this rumor is true, I'm guessing C2D + 320M combo because that's what 13"ers have. Then early 2011 update with iX

Thankyou!

People also have to remember, that people who want to buy these lightweight computers generally don't need much power anyway.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
May 12, 2010
Another possibility or 2...

This isn't a post about predicting the most probable changes. Nor is it about what I want. Instead it's an ersatz journey into the kind of post in which the spacing of models is considered. Which I consider to be the hardest area in which we sometimes speculate. Just to lenghthen the list of possible developments... Here it is:

The talk of having both 11.6" and 13" models, maybe 2 of each, though nothing but functional logic supports it (no rumors say 2 sizes, and "model spacing theory" suggests "no"), opens up a few thoughts. That and the Jobs "truck/car" metaphor.

LetKs call the current HDD 1.86 model Roman numeral II. And call the current SSD 2.13 model Roman numeral III. Then new models (maybe they're 11.6", maybe 13") are added both one below, and one above. --- Roman numeral "I" is added at the bottom: a model cheaper than currently offered. A little closer to netbook (or at least "car") territory. --- And Roman numeral "IV" is added on top of the lineup: a more fully equipped model. Again maybe 11.6", maybe 13"

4 models. At least during a transitional period. Maybe II & III go away in somewhere from end of 2010 to a few months into 2011 (IIUC from an expert, licensing legalities don't prevent Apple from stockpiling CoreDuo chips made this year, to stick in computers made next year). This sort of lots-of-models-for-a-while could allow Apple to race four different feature-sets against each other, while widening their appeal both higher and lower than the current pair of models.

The new rumor posits, like the DigiTimes rumor, an Apple-predicted increase in sales. Hmmm. The new rumor says higher sales presumably mean cheaper. So, let's say in this transitional I-II-III-IV scheme, the under-$1499. "I" model is the one with the biggest sales, boosting overall volume sold. But... which would be the 2nd-best seller? Apple could wait and see... and use the next several 4-8? months of sales info to determine what the higher model should be like... how high to go? And THEN the Air lineup settles down to just two models... including maybe the cheaper is 11.6" while the luxe model stays 13".

Or maybe it all stays 13"... and they get lazy and keep the same case they have now for everything... changing innards only.

There are limits to --- how fast can they hop to a new chip/set, right? OTOH as I posted about the DigiTimes rumor's volume-for-2010 idea ... if you beleive they'll sell a big number of new Airs by 12-31-2010... the sooner those sales begin, the easier it is to get that number up that high, by year's end. That's the conundrum I can't fathom. How can they have a suitable new chip/set ready so fast - as to start selling at least a luxe "IV" model this or next month? But ... adding an "I" model to the lineup, with more modest "car"-like ambitions, (keeping CoreDuo at least for a while) DOES seem do-able, in the fast time frame mentioned in this new rumor.

ermir4444

macrumors regular
Oct 25, 2009
Toronto On
My prediction are as follows:
11.6" 1366x768 LED Backlit, full keyboard, 0.6" thick case all around (not tapered), 7 hour battery life

11.6" MBA - 1.2 Ghz Core i5-540UM, ATI 5430 256MB, 4GB RAM, 160 GB HDD - 999$

11.6" MBA - 1.33 Ghz Core i7-660UM, ATI 5430 256MB, 4GB RAM, 128 GB SSD - 1399$

Completely remove the MacBook and make the low end air the entry level mac notebook and the new trend among college students.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.