PDA

View Full Version : Need Help BAd!!!! for Imac

j_tuff
Nov 24, 2004, 07:55 AM
I bought a used Imac G3 without the disks. I have a couple of problems, please help.

I don't have the system admin name and password. I can't get on line w/ out it.

1. I'll email the guy I got it from maybe he knows.
2. If not. Do I have to buy OS X and start over. That's not a big deal, but the computer has tons of software on it. Is there a way I can 'save' the software and re-install OS X.

3. Or should I just sell it. I really need it to do some editing and I need an updated of Quicktime, which I think I can only get on line.

What do you guys recommend?

Thanks.

TLRedhawke
Nov 24, 2004, 08:19 AM
You have to get the password, or create a new user in the root. This is our general technique for service machines, where the customer forgot to give us a password. It's too early for me to remember the exact technique, but you can create a new user without even having logged in to the prior one. You can give this user administrative access. Other than those two things, you'd have to format the machine, and yes, you'd lose everything on there. As a general rule, the first thing I do when I get a used machine is to blow it away.

jeremy.king
Nov 24, 2004, 10:12 AM
You could try to BUY OS X and then do an archive and install, this *may* preserve your applications.

With that said - don't pirate software.

Chappers
Nov 24, 2004, 10:32 AM
I'm still amazed that people sell or dump computers without deleting stuff.

You never know what you might find.

Norouzi
Dec 2, 2004, 05:28 PM
What you'll need to do depends on what version of OS X is installed, is it's 10.3 then just purchase Panther (10.3), start up from the install CD by holding down "C" on startup and select "Reset Password" from the installer menu. This will allow you to reset the password for any user. If it's running Jaguar (10.2) then you may need to still buy Panther and do an Archive and Install. Just make sure not to preserve the "User and Network" settings otherwise you'll have the same problem as you do now.

One last thing. I don't know if this one will work at all, but the Panther Install CD may be able to reset the password for Jaguar can't say for sure though, never tried it. Just bear in mind that if you simply reset the pasword then you'll be stuck with the user name that the previous owner created. This may not be a big deal for you though. Hope some of this helped.

CanadaRAM
Dec 3, 2004, 02:04 PM
What kingjr3 said:

Commercial software "included" on the hard drive of a machine, unless the seller provided the original CDs and a transfer of license, is pirated, by definition.