Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

dan84

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 6, 2010
Hi im visiting the US in a few weeks, im looking to buy a MacBook. I have a few questions:

1. Will I have to declare the Macbook through customs and pay extra bringing it back? If so how much am I looking at?

2. Will I have any problems with our diffrent voltage and frequency? As the US differs to the UK.

Thanks for any help

TZRaceR6

Jun 8, 2010
United Kingdom
Hi im visiting the US in a few weeks, im looking to buy a MacBook. I have a few questions:

1. Will I have to declare the Macbook through customs and pay extra bringing it back? If so how much am I looking at?

2. Will I have any problems with our diffrent voltage and frequency? As the US differs to the UK.

Thanks for any help

1. Not sure if you have to declare or not, go here: http://www.hmrc.gov.uk/customs/tax-and-duty.htm
However, I have gone to and from the U.S. a couple of times now and never been stopped to ask about my laptops.

2. You won't have any problems with voltage. The magsafe adapter takes care of this issue. Only thing you need to do is order (e-bay is a good place) the U.K. plug portion. This is the part that slides in and out of the magsafe adapter. You can change out for a U.S., U.K. or other Euro plugs easily.

P.S. I'm a U.S. citizen that lives in the U.K., so all of my laptops are U.S. versions. I prefer not to pay nearly 50% more for a computer if I don't have to. It's complete robbery by the gov't. Kind of like how our annual road tax doesn't even go to maintaining the roads!

molala

macrumors 6502a
Oct 25, 2008
Cambridge, UK
I'd check the price of the MacBook at Dixons at the airport before your trip. It would be tax-free and might turn out cheaper than buying from the US, especially if you have to pay customs on return.

To be honest, I never met anyone who declared a laptop bought outside the UK to customs. Just don't bring the box back.

Xenophon

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2010
New Delhi, India

You SHOULD declare it. Whether you do or not is your business but don't cry if you get caught. What you'll have to pay on declaring is import duty (low, couple %) and the relevant VAT rate in the UK. If you get caught not declaring, add a hefty fine.

Will I have any problems with our diffrent voltage and frequency? As the US differs to the UK.
Only concern is the plug.

I prefer not to pay nearly 50% more for a computer if I don't have to. It's complete robbery by the gov't. Kind of like how our annual road tax doesn't even go to maintaining the roads!

No, it goes toward maintaining an accessible social security/medical care system. How much does good medical coverage cost you or your employer in the US?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.