PDA

View Full Version : Slashdot Article on Windows to Apple Converts

jobutex
Nov 24, 2004, 12:02 PM
There is an interesting article on Slashdot today about how the iPod is motivating a lot of Windows users to switch. However, in the comments on the article, there was a very funny exchange:

Comment: I had always thought that Mac users were a rabid, elitist group until I started using the iPod. It was an upgrade from my older iRiver player. I'm far too entrenched in my PC to switch, but I'll admit that I'm Mac-curious now.

Response: Y'know, some people swing both ways. Don't be afraid to get in touch with your OSX-uality.

LOL! OSX-uality... I like that!!!

Have a safe and happy Thanksgiving everyone!

jeremy.king
Nov 24, 2004, 12:06 PM
That only works for those who pronounce it "O-S-ex."

I say "OS ten" so it loses it's humor.

timnosenzo
Nov 24, 2004, 12:22 PM
Response: Y'know, some people swing both ways. Don't be afraid to get in touch with your OSX-uality.

LOL! OSX-uality... I like that!!!
That's pretty funny! :D

varmit
Nov 24, 2004, 12:25 PM
I do have to say, the iPod halo is for real. I think a larger sample size is needed but the 6 percent already switch and 7 plan on it seems about right. Just want to solidify it so I can say, "Want to Mac with that iPod." Oooh, that just sounds naughty. Anyone got any other good ones.

munkle
Nov 24, 2004, 01:09 PM
That only works for those who pronounce it "O-S-ex."

I say "OS ten" so it loses it's humor.

Can't you just pretend?! Go on, be a little craazy! ;) :p :D

Frank (Atlanta)
Nov 24, 2004, 01:24 PM
Well I switched in reverse - bought my iMac first and am now contemplating an iPod (or 2)!

DavidLeblond
Nov 24, 2004, 01:47 PM
Well I switched in reverse - bought my iMac first and am now contemplating an iPod (or 2)!

I'm with you. I got an iBook and I'm ready to buy a flash iPod.

Of course, whether or not a flash iPod will actually come out is for discussion in one of the hundreds of flash iPod threads...

bankshot
Nov 24, 2004, 02:13 PM
Mac-curious ...

I like the comment further down in that same thread. Apparently the proper term is iCurious. Clever! :p

Crunchy
Nov 24, 2004, 02:40 PM
When I switched three years ago, I bought a TiBook 500 based on OS X's sexiness. When the iPod was released a month later, I snatched it right up too. Same deal, sexy, and it worked just like I wanted it to with my new TiBook baby. Others will find the same is true the other directions. I think Apple will be able to attract many more switchers on account of the iPod. It probably won't be enough to significantly alter the OS landscape, but so what? As long as Apple survives, and thrives, even if on a lesser scale than MS, then it's win/win.

rueyeet
Nov 24, 2004, 03:27 PM
I Mac with my iPod on a regular basis, and I have to say, it's pretty nice. I guess I'm fully in touch with my own OSX-uality (purely a text/visual pun though it may be). :p

I'm of two minds about the recent analyst buy-in to the iPod halo effect: A shot in the arm of Mac marketshare is sure a nice possibility to think about, but it's the kind of analyst prediction that tends to send the stock into free-fall if it doesn't materialize.

cb911
Nov 24, 2004, 05:16 PM
LOL, funny comments. :D

i'll be encouraging people to explore their OSX-uality. :D :p

hopefully we'll see some massive sales over the holiday season - Apple is already doing the whole 'holiday' thing at the online stores, really pushing the iPod. should be a good few months coming up... ;)

gwangung
Nov 24, 2004, 05:54 PM
LOL, funny comments. :D

i'll be encouraging people to explore their OSX-uality. :D :p

Shouldn't that be OS-Xuality? (Gotta put the dash in the right place....)

Daveway
Nov 24, 2004, 08:08 PM
I'm a stickler for sex jokes and that one was very funny. LOL.

But i am here to say i am living proof of the "Halo Effect." I switched before the summer (i have a 20gb 3g) after many months of watching Steve Jobs' keynotes and much research. Now i'm a "zealot"(yearly sub. to Macworld & Macaddict), i preach the good word, and i will never look back to the dark side.

kiwi-in-uk
Nov 24, 2004, 09:44 PM
... Mac marketshare is sure a nice possibility to think about, but it's the kind of analyst prediction that tends to send the stock into free-fall if it doesn't materialize.

Very true ... the danger for Apple now is an over inflated share price that results in a sharp fall and leads to reduced confidence in profitability and fall-out that reduces confidence in product.

The best scenario is a gradual improvement in product perception - followed by revenue and share price.