PDA

View Full Version : HDTV and receiver audio connection problems [help]

nickarmadillo
Aug 6, 2010, 05:27 PM
OK, just purchased my first HDTV and I'm pretty thrilled to get it all set up.

However, I have a few questions first.

1. I purchased the TV as a refurb from Tigerdirect for $417 with a Mastercard. As I understand it, Mastercard doubles the standard warranty (90 days on refurbs). Is the Mastercard thing true? Is it worth getting an extended warranty? I know it can be on more expensive sets, but a 2 year is about $75 and 1 year $55. Should I go for it, or just hope that the 180 day warranty gets me through.

2. I also purchased an Onkyo HT-S5200 home theater (with the r570 receiver). It has HDMI, but does not pass through audio over HDMI. I am hoping to connect a Bluray player and computer as follows:

Bluray/computer >>>>[HDMI]>>>> TV >>>[Optical audio]>>>>> Receiver

Will this work well? Can the Vizio output surround sound from an HDMI source over its optical out? If not, how else might I connect them? The receiver has only 2 optical ins, but I have more than 2 devices that I want to connect, so I thought that going through the TV might be best.

Thank you very much for your assistance.

mchalebk
Aug 9, 2010, 08:41 AM
Most (if not all) TVs will only output surround sound through their outputs from over the air channels. If you run Blu-ray (or any other source) into the TV, then out of the optical line, you will almost certainly get 2.0 sound only.

If you have more sources than inputs on your receiver, you'll need some kind of switch.