PDA

View Full Version : Networking....

fuzzai
Nov 24, 2004, 01:28 PM
Hey guys, new to a mac, my G/F got one for college, and ive been playing with it...i use M$ and Linux at home, and was networking the mac into my network.

Question - Does Appletalk only have to be on when i wanna share files on a mac?

cuz i swear i had apple talk off yet i could log into my M$ box and still get files. but trying to get into the mac i had to have apple talk on..
i just wanted to know if this is right?

Thanks

oh btw, its a powerbook, 15" Superdrive, 1/2gig of ram with a 9700?? ati card i think it is...nice little machine...running OSX.3 i think.

Raid
Nov 24, 2004, 01:50 PM
Question - Does Appletalk only have to be on when i wanna share files on a mac?

As far as I know, you don't need Appletalk switched on to add an MS box as a network connection. I've done it with my roommates <shudder> Dell </shudder> afew times but I don't think my Appletalk is on. For Mac to Mac connections though it needs to be switched on in both machines.

fuzzai
Nov 24, 2004, 02:50 PM
I found that to share the Mac files on my windows/linux network Apple talk needed to be on..

Is this correct?
i think without apple talk i couldn't find the mac at all. but the mac could log into windows. Gotta love UNIX ! :D

Raid
Nov 25, 2004, 02:10 PM
I found that to share the Mac files on my windows/linux network Apple talk needed to be on..

Is this correct?

Yes that's right, if you're Mac doesn't have Apple talk on then it won't share any files, but can still access other computers on your network (provided they are able to share their files).

johnnyjibbs
Nov 25, 2004, 03:02 PM
Oh, I've always had AppleTalk turned off because I thought it was a relic from the Mac OS 9 era but maybe I should turn it on...

JupiterTwo
Nov 25, 2004, 07:30 PM
Oh, I've always had AppleTalk turned off because I thought it was a relic from the Mac OS 9 era but maybe I should turn it on...

nah, nfs and smb are still there sort things out :)