PDA

View Full Version : Best turn by turn navigation for iPad 3g

SunnyFL
Aug 6, 2010, 07:56 PM
I have been looking at the three big players Tom Tom, navigon, & copilot and can't make up my mid on the one to get. Looking at the screen shots Navigon looks to be the best. but is also the most $.
I di wish Garmin was in the mix because I have always used their handhelt and auto navigation units and currently have a nuvi 8xx unit that's a few years old and is due for a map update. I am thinking for waht it cost to update the map software I can get the Navigon for the iPad.

I would like to hear any comments and thoughts on these appps.

lokerd
Aug 6, 2010, 08:46 PM
I really like a program, motion x gps, but it doesn't do turn by turn...but it is an awesome program...very well designed. They have a traffic app, but I am not sure it is updated for the iPad yet. I have a car gps for turn by turn...I use the motion x for plotting places to explore for photos, etc. Also, for boating, the motion x is really nice. Not sure if the others do this, but the motion uses Internet access as well as gps to help locate you.

Star56
Aug 6, 2010, 10:18 PM
Motion X has a turn by turn version of its Ipad app ( it has drive in the title). The problem is that they actually charge you a monthly fee to use the voice turn by turn feature.

I prefer Co-Pilot HD with provides turn by turn voice instructions without a fee.

maestrokev
Aug 6, 2010, 10:28 PM
Since the last update Navigon doesn't display properly on the iPad, still waiting for a fix.

b00st3d
Aug 6, 2010, 10:31 PM
The Magellan software is working fine on mine.

mykoljay
Aug 6, 2010, 10:38 PM
I used copilot europe italy on vacation a few weeks ago and it was pretty freakn awesome.

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 6, 2010, 10:39 PM
Motion X has a turn by turn version of its Ipad app ( it has drive in the title). The problem is that they actually charge you a monthly fee to use the voice turn by turn feature.

I prefer Co-Pilot HD with provides turn by turn voice instructions without a fee.

And a review I saw for iPhone GPS turn by turn apps seemed to have placed the coPilot very high....

Would like to use the iPad in this function... But have not found a "travel friendly" mounting solution. Seen some that might work for my primary car. But need something that I can take when I travel.

Keep in mind some states do not allow for the suction cup solution as for the iPhone and other GPS's. And the beanbag type thing I saw was good... But iPad seems to be too large, in that it would block the field of view. For my Subaru Baja the cup holder solution might work, but for some rental cars I might be stuck... I know there are some that attach to the AC vent, but when it is hot out there - know my iPad would be happy, but not sure about me and my passengers. lol

bithacker
Aug 7, 2010, 01:55 PM
Motion X drive is really nice.. 25$ a year though (or 2.99 a month if i recall) you get turn by turn and traffic. It is the nicest one I have use and well worth the money. I travel extensively and rely on the accuracy/routing/POI's.

T4R06
Aug 7, 2010, 02:05 PM
Navigon with fullforce FTW!

sweetchilliphil
Aug 8, 2010, 11:07 PM
No car dock for your iPad. Want to stick that sexy slab of metal anywhere? Here's your solution!!!

VELCRO! That's right! As good as sliced bread! VELCRO can go anywhere! Just buy a long strip of sticky Velcro and stick that bad boy all over the place.

- On your motorcycle.
- Your car dash.
- Your bedroom roof.
- Your mum's back!

So many solutions with just two strips of Velcro! Available at your nearest stockist.

I usually use my iPhone for GPS. iPad is too big and unwieldy for me to use for navigation. :(

iPodPad
Aug 9, 2010, 02:31 PM
CoPilot Live is what I picked up a while back. I haven't compared it to the others. It's been working well for me.

One thing that has really impressed me was map updates. I got an email from the company saying that if you report a map mistake or missing road they would fix in within 45 days. I laughed out loud. My past experience with trying to report missing roads is it takes 45 days for the GPSr manufacturer to get back to you saying they forwarded your complaint to their map vendor who will try to get it in an update in 1 to 2 years. 45 days?? As if.

I quickly sent off the details of a newer road in my area that is usually missing from GPSrs. In around 30 days a map update showed up in CoPilot Live that actually included the missing road. I was impressed.

You can actually report new roads to them and they will actually do something about it while you can still remember reporting it!