Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

harry

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 28, 2004
I inserted a CD-RW that was given to me by a PC user, and now I can't get it out of my PowerBook. When I put it in, the cd drive will start and stop spinning incessantly for about 5 minutes. When I tried to eject the disc, the cd icon disappeared from my desktop, but the disc did not actually come out. When I try to view the disc from a Finder window, it tells me that it does not exist. I then rebooted my machine, and tried to remove it from the Disk Utility, but nothing worked there either. Is there any way to physically force the disc to eject?

nelwd

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2004
How to eject disc

The text below is from the Apple help section. Hope it works.

Ejecting a disc when all else fails

If you've tried all the usual methods of ejecting a CD or DVD disc from your computer's optical drive, there are some manual methods you can try.

First, quit all applications that are using files on the disc. Then try one of these alternate methods:

Choose Apple menu > Restart and hold the mouse key down until the disc ejects.
Put the computer to sleep (using the Energy Saver pane of System Preferences) and insert a large, straightened paper clip in the small emergency eject hole of the drive (the location varies, depending on the drive). Push firmly until the disc ejects.
Use Open Firmware to eject the disc if all other methods fail (this may not work on all computers). To use this method, you have to start up and briefly use the computer using Open Firmware, not the standard Mac OS X desktop. This is a simple procedure-try it if you're feeling adventurous.

To eject a disc using Open Firmware:

Restart the computer.
When you hear the startup sound, press and hold the Command-Option-O-F keys. (The Command key has an Apple on it.)
Release the keys when you see a white screen that says "Welcome to Open Firmware."
At the prompt, type:

eject cd
Press Return, then wait a few seconds. The disc drive should eject the disc, and "ok" appears on the screen when the action is complete.
Type:

mac-boot
Press Return.

Your computer starts up normally and you see the familiar Mac OS X desktop

CanadaRAM

macrumors G5
CD-RW Will NOT Eject From Drive

Two simple ways to try first before hauling out the big guns:

1) Shut down. Start the machine, hold the Mouse button down all the way through startup. The CD tray should eject unless it is physically jammed. This happens before the contents of the CD are read, so the machine doesn't have a chance to get confused. [nelwd already caught this one]

2) The non-shut-down method. Open iTunes,
Choose Contols: Eject Disk or kit Command-E
This opens the tray whether or not there is a CD in it.

One more tip: Never put a mini-CD or a business card CD into a slot-load Mac optical drive.

Thanks
Trevor
CanadaRAM.com

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.