Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
I have an odd question. I'm not even sure its a problem. I have a dual 2.5 and every so often it..."meows"... or makes a squeek or something. Sounds like a dying cat. It's pretty faint but I hear it like every half hour or so. It's not coming from the speaker but from the hardware itself. Anyone else notice this?

iMeowbot

macrumors G3
Aug 30, 2003
Oh, that's my sister! We've been searching frantically for her. Can you mail her back to Cupertino ASAP? Her parents are worried sick.

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
JesterJJZ said:
I have an odd question. I'm not even sure its a problem. I have a dual 2.5 and every so often it..."meows"... or makes a squeek or something. Sounds like a dying cat. It's pretty faint but I hear it like every half hour or so. It's not coming from the speaker but from the hardware itself. Anyone else notice this?

It would most likely be the PSU or one if not more of the Fans. Get them checked out you have Apple Care.

legacyb4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2002
Vancouver, BC
I've heard it as well coming from my G5 1.6 as well. Every once in a while you hear a "prrrrrrrrrrr" and then it stops.

Not sure what causes it...

JesterJJZ said:

maya

macrumors 68040
Oct 7, 2004
somewhere between here and there.
legacyb4 said:
I've heard it as well coming from my G5 1.6 as well. Every once in a while you hear a "prrrrrrrrrrr" and then it stops.

Not sure what causes it...

Sounds to me that it is one of the fans, however it might have just turned on a dime since the CPU temperature was high and then dropped and thus all you heard is a "prrrrrr" sound. :)

JesterJJZ

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jul 21, 2004
It's not a purrrr nor the fans revving. It usually happens when I leave it alone for a while and work on my other machine. It's like a creak or squack...geeze..all the ridicule I'll get from this...I'll try to record it if i get a chance...HA! :D

Hoef

macrumors 6502a
Jul 11, 2004
Houston, TX..... (keep walking)
I have a G5 and it may make similar sounds. Although to me it more sounds like a tea kettle ... the sound it makes when you turn of the gas and the last few fumes of steam disappear and the kettle metal contracts back (prutteling sound) Better have somebody record it since pruttelen is not an English word.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.