Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Chuck

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jan 3, 2003
...Now I'm wishing I didn't even download the updater, as I tried running it, and it didn't seem to update the firmware anyway, and now I have no Bluetooth module at all!

Has anyone else had problems with this updater?

Any help would be muchly appreciated.

Chuck.

johnnyjibbs

macrumors 68030
Sep 18, 2003
London, UK
I had some of the same problems as you. If you restart your computer, your Bluetooth capability should return. Click here to see a parallel thread documenting the problem and try to follow the instructions given in this thread on the Apple Support forums.

Basically, restart your computer, go to Bluetooth prefs and switch off/unpair all devices. Then repair permissions (using disk utility in the utilities folder) then try the update again and it should work. If, after all that, it still doesn't work, try downloading it from the Apple downloads page directly rather than from Software Update. Then be patient - it should take 10-15 mins or so.

WCat

macrumors member
After following the excellent suggestions above, I have also heard that some people have fixed the "Bluetooth disappears" issue by doing a PMU reset and then rebooting after the updater finishes. That seems to help...assuming you can get to that point :eek:

FWIW, I personally have not had any problems doing the update(s) on three Macs with internal modules and one using the external DLink dongle.

Cheers,

WCat

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
It worked fine for me although I had to plug in a USB mouse and restart as it lost my devices. This may be a pain if you only have a bluetooth mouse/kb :rolleyes: After the restart I had to re pair the devices but other than that it was fine.

It does take quite a long time to do the update. I did repair permissions both before and after though nothing was untoward. I used the standalone updater and have a D-link dongle thingy.

asif786

macrumors 65816
Jun 17, 2004
London, UK.
damn, does this issue relate to the internal bluetooth module or external ones?

my new imac is arriving today and now i dont know if I should run the updater or not :eek:

/asif

BlankStar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 13, 2004
Belgium
i did the bluetooth firmware and the last airport update at the same time and rebooted and had no problems at all. salling Clicker found my mobile and paired with it like as usual...

(PowerBook Rev A 12")

cmvsm

macrumors 6502a
Nov 12, 2004
Bluetooth Firmware Update

I installed the bluetooth firmware update the other night. No problems what so ever. It did the trick in that before it wasn't finding my mouse so quickly, but now that problem is gone... :D

Westside guy

macrumors 603
Oct 15, 2003
The soggy side of the Pacific NW
cmvsm said:
I installed the bluetooth firmware update the other night. No problems what so ever. It did the trick in that before it wasn't finding my mouse so quickly, but now that problem is gone...

I've noticed this too, but up until now I assumed maybe I was imagining things. :D Since the update, it does seem as if my Bluetooth mouse doesn't take nearly as long to respond when I start using it again after its been idle for a while.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.