PDA

View Full Version : iMac G3 DV - RIP

Chuck Fadanoid
Aug 8, 2010, 04:01 AM
Hello all,

sad news: after 10 years my iMac G3 gave up the ghost! Pressing the power button caused a sort of crackle noise inside and the lovely smell of ozone/burn electronics. No chime, nothing. Sigh. I'm assuming we have a write-off here, not worth repairing? Any ideas what it could have been? I've already salvaged the hard drive and RAM, and totalled the DVD drive to get one of my daughter's DVDs out (hate slot loaders).

My first computer I bought with my own money, and my last that runs OS 9, and another link to a time when Apple still had a soul gone. I feel sad. Apart from a fishtank (too difficult), and the local Wertstoffhof (place to orderly dispose of this kind of waste), any ideas what else can I do with a dead iMac?

max••
Aug 8, 2010, 09:31 AM
Hello all,

sad news: after 10 years my iMac G3 gave up the ghost! Pressing the power button caused a sort of crackle noise inside and the lovely smell of ozone/burn electronics. No chime, nothing. Sigh. I'm assuming we have a write-off here, not worth repairing? Any ideas what it could have been? I've already salvaged the hard drive and RAM, and totalled the DVD drive to get one of my daughter's DVDs out (hate slot loaders).

My first computer I bought with my own money, and my last that runs OS 9, and another link to a time when Apple still had a soul gone. I feel sad. Apart from a fishtank (too difficult), and the local Wertstoffhof (place to orderly dispose of this kind of waste), any ideas what else can I do with a dead iMac?sounds like the power supply or one of the boards that drives the crt is bust hoping the logic board is still fine you might like to try this with the logic board http://www.hardmac.com/articles/39/page1 then your imac may still live

raysfan81
Aug 8, 2010, 11:47 AM
any ideas what else can I do with a dead iMac?

Make it into a fish tank after you're sure it can't be fixed. :D

Davy.Shalom
Aug 8, 2010, 11:09 PM
Fixing it is a waste of money. Get an LCD that would fit in there, make a mount, and mount a mac mini MOBO in there. It would be a fun project and is really do able. The hardest part is finding an LCD that fits. The rest is pretty simple. Well, gutting it may be a pain...
;)