Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

McGuillicuddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Cambridge, UK
Hi guys,

I've found an iBook G3 (500 MHz, 320Mb RAM, no airport card) for sale locally for £400 (should be able to talk her down to £300) and I was wondering if it was powerful enough to easily handle regular laptop activities (internet/email, MS Office, DVD viewing etc.) without any trouble. Any chance I could run Warcraft3 on it?

Also, the owner currently has OS 10.3 loaded up on it. I know this is a new OS, so does the old G3 handle this without problems? Finally, what kind of battery life can I expect?

Veldek

macrumors 68000
Mar 29, 2003
Germany
I played the whole single player of WC3 on my iMac (see sig). Some time later I tried it again - I really don't know how I did that. It's almost unplayable. But even if it can be done, forget about Multiplayer. This is really impossible and is the biggest fun IMO.

Leareth

macrumors 68000
Nov 11, 2004
Vancouver
It should handle basic stuff just fine.
WC3 needs a bigger screen though, and more RAM.
You should not be paying more than $500 USD for one that does not have an airport card in it,
battery life for an used battery about 3 to 3.5 hours on a 12"
for a new battery about 5 hours
as well, you did not mention what optical drive it has.

McGuillicuddy

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Nov 25, 2004
Cambridge, UK
Thanks for the replies guys. If you can forgive an Apple newbie for a minute, can anybody tell me the rough equivalent in Intel clock speed for the iBook G3 500 MHz?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.