PDA

View Full Version : Is it possible to remove the iMac screen and use it as a display for something else?

pgharavi
Nov 25, 2004, 04:19 PM
Hello,

My friend has an iMac, the one that looks like a desk lamp, and while I am not really interested in macs, I do love the wide/flatscreen it has, and would love to use it for my PC and consoles. Do you know if this is possible/feasable?

Thanks much!

mklos
Nov 25, 2004, 04:23 PM
Well kinda...It going to be an absolute pain in the @$$ to get it working correctly without ruining it. Its nearly impossible to do. Its not like there is a DVI connector on the end of the cord that plugs into the motherboard. I think its just 4 or 5 wires. You'd probably have to match them all up correctly with a connector. You'd have to be damn good with electronics to make it work. In other words, its not worth ruining a perfectly good iMac just for the display.

pgharavi
Nov 26, 2004, 12:48 PM
how much are these computers worth? Thanks!

edesignuk
Nov 26, 2004, 12:52 PM
Only you know exactly what you have, and with that information....

eBay (http://www.ebay.com)

mklos
Nov 26, 2004, 12:58 PM

If you tell us the specs of the iMac then we could give you an estimate. I'd say 700-800 MHz 17" iMac G4's would go for somewhere around $700 to $800 depending on the extras, and if AppleCare is included with them. The 1 GHz-1.25 GHz iMac G4's could still be worth around $1,000, again, depending on what extras are on them and if AppleCare comes with it. Macs don't lose their value as much like PCs do.