PDA

View Full Version : Airport Extreme Basestation signal

Zim Bargo
Nov 25, 2004, 04:58 PM
I just got the Basestation Extreme, which is all nicely setup and allowing me to post this query - so far, so good.

Bit of a query though. I am in the same room as the Basestation, sat about 5ft away, but I'm only getting 10 out of 15 bars on the internet connect signal test ans the little Airport icon in my toolbar shows 3 out of 4.

The slider for the range of the basestation is on 100%

Is this normal, and if so why - surely I should be getting full signal. What concerns me more, is that if I'm not getting full signal 5ft away what kind of signal am I going to get 3 floors away?

crazzyeddie
Nov 25, 2004, 06:55 PM
What computer? Also, look for 2.4ghz devices or appliances (even ceiling fans) near your router. They severely limit the range. 802.11b will extend the range of your wireless signal further than 802.11g

JupiterTwo
Nov 25, 2004, 07:25 PM
Have you tried three floors away? Give it a go - you might be suprised!

The experience I've had with this wireless stuff is that the signal bars don't mean an awful lot. I've had 3/4 bars near one, and then been in another room and had 4/4...I'm sure there's science in there somewere :p

Zim Bargo
Nov 26, 2004, 03:25 AM
Thanks guys,

The computer is a 15" Powerbook 1.25ghz. I had interference robustness on at first in case of other appliances, but then read that having it on could limit the range of the basestation - can't win it seems.

re 802.11b vs g - what is this all about and is it a setting I can change?

Tried it 3 floors away. It does work , although I'm down to about 1 bar. I'm not sure if it's affecting the speed though - at times it's pretty quick other times, nothing. Maybe there is a science in there somewhere, but I'm damned if I know where it is

Cheers

Zim