Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2010
A recent post-er mentioned that plugging an outboard modem into the Air, runs its battery down a lot.

1.) Is this energy drain the same for built-in modems, and outboard plug-in ones?

2.) Among the plug-in modems sold through cellular providers, how much does battery drain vary? Is there an independent and credible source for comparative info on this?

3.) How does the energy drain of either kind of cellular modem, compare with using the Wi-Fi radio instead?

4.) Do the above answers vary, for 3G vs. 4G?

5.) I'm wondering why Sprint dropped their #301 plug-in modem, the stick-like one. Now they apparently only sell the newer one, shaped like a tiny donut. Does anyone have experience using that one with an Air?

______

Sprint does have better pricing, which is attractive. The 3G can run over the cap (like, if 4G hasn't arrived in your area, yet), but the 4G's capless. (Unlike Verizon's upcoming 3/4G service which reportedly is priced the other way around.) Of course Sprint's 4G phone can't run over any data cap anyway, because the battery empties so fast.

Of course if I buy a cell modemless Air and then the new model offers the option of having it built-in, I'll feel stupider than the last Chevy Corvair buyer.

PracticalMac

macrumors 68030
Jan 22, 2009
Houston, TX
You need to break down the modem/Cell modem dongle to its parts.

1: the wireless component: likely to use the same power inside or outside unit

2: USB (or whatever its port is): will consume power as the data is transfered from one protocol to another.

Question: Does the modem/Cell modem use internal USB connection to the motherboard, or will it use another port, like a simple "serial port".
If it does, then the power use will be same internal or external.

lucifiel

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2009
In your basement
You need to break down the modem/Cell modem dongle to its parts.

1: the wireless component: likely to use the same power inside or outside unit

2: USB (or whatever its port is): will consume power as the data is transfered from one protocol to another.

Question: Does the modem/Cell modem use internal USB connection to the motherboard, or will it use another port, like a simple "serial port".
If it does, then the power use will be same internal or external.

this appears to be a pretty well reasoned answer, thanks :)

thinkdesign

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 12, 2010
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/4.0 (compatible; MSIE 6.0; Windows CE; IEMobile 8.12; MSIEMobile6.0) Sprint T7380)

Well, since it's a testable thing, I was hoping someone might have seen a report verifying it.

BTW Sprint had told me their old stick-like 301? modem worked w/ macs. Then I see on recent blogs that -- the round tiny-donut shaped modem being announced as their first one that's Mac-compatible. Yikes! That was a close call, I almost bought the 301. Their pricing can save money, but you really have to watch 'em.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.