PDA

View Full Version : Buy now...or wait?


crossed-over
Aug 20, 2002, 11:28 AM
Hey all, I need some advice.

I am a current peecee user (please don't hold against me), and have badly been wanting to make the switch. I actually had placed an order for a 933 PM 2 days before the new generation of PM's came out, and received an email from Apple stating that they could no longer supply me with the 933, but could only offer the new models.

After reading and researching intensively here, as well as many other places, I am not so sure I want to make the jump with these new models or hold out for the next generation of (possible) IBM chip-powered machines. I'm not really that impressed with the new PM line, but I don't really feel like waiting another year or so for a possiblity of new revolutionary machines. I've considered several options, please help me with a little bit of input.

A) Wait to see if something BIG is coming, then buy one of those

B) Buy a low-end or used PM now, and sell it when the new ones come out

C) Buy a high-end dual 1 or dual 1.25 now, and sell it when the new ones come out

D) Don't get your hopes up about future products, and BUY NOW

Please tell me what you think is the best/worst thing to do, and a reason or two. I could really use an extra opinion. Thanks in advance.

Adam

topicolo
Aug 20, 2002, 11:51 AM
I would say that you shouldn't get your hopes up. Even though the signs point toward apple using those new IBM chips on their future powermacs, it's not guaranteed and these rumors have been wrong before.
If you have the money, you should just go onto ebay and get yourself a used G3 or G4 mac for as little money as you can and sell it when the new ones arrive.
If you don't, and you aren't in a great hurry to get a new computer, you should wait.