PDA

View Full Version : 64 Meg video or 128?

Lonewolf
Nov 25, 2004, 09:22 PM
Is there a significant viewing difference or speed in the 128 Meg video chip over the 64 Meg in a PowerBook?

Thanks in advance.

Duff-Man
Nov 25, 2004, 09:41 PM
Duff-Man says...whether or not you need the extra vram depends on what you are doing with the Powerbook. If you are just surfing the net and word processing and other "light" graphics stuff you'll never know the difference. If you are doing higher-end graphics and multimedia or games that need the most vram, then you notice....oh yeah!

maya
Nov 25, 2004, 09:51 PM
128MB of VRam is any machine is targeted towards HD (High Definition) content creation. And if you are looking at extreme gaming. Other than that 64MB is quite alright.

128MB of VRam comes in handy if you are doing the following:

1. HD content digital creation.
2. Rendering Open GL Hardware supported 3D rendering.
3. Extreme Gaming.

That is pretty much it, since HD is becoming the next HOT thing thus you see people asking for 128 even though majority of the people asking for it will never create HD content, since if they did the money to even buy a 256 MB VRam card would not be an issue. :rolleyes:

crees!
Nov 25, 2004, 09:55 PM
128MB vid-card! What the... did the original 1.25 15" PB's have this option? I hope not because I'll be pissed that I over looked that upgrade.

joepunk
Nov 25, 2004, 10:03 PM
128MB vid-card! What the... did the original 1.25 15" PB's have this option? I hope not because I'll be pissed that I over looked that upgrade.

The original 15" Al PB's did not have that option, at-least if my memory and mactracker serves correctly. Also, to the original poster, the upgrade vid-card price differs between the 15 and 17" PB's. The price is higher to upgrade in the 15" than the 17". Why, I don't know it just is :confused: :rolleyes:

JeDiBoYTJ
Nov 25, 2004, 10:05 PM
^HD video isnt fully graphics card dependent, its like DV, only with about twice the resolution. You need faster processors to handle HD, you can have any kind of gfx card in the machine and still edit/create HD video. Of course, having a better graphics card will help speed up rendering a little. I work with HD too, and I have the 64mb card on my powerbook, and it works fine, edits just like DV for me. The only thing a better graphics card will do, is help shave a few seconds off rendering time, but thats really all.

where the graphics card really comes into play, is when you are playing with 3D-style effects, like in Motion or Maya, Or gaming.

I just went with the 64mb for my powerbook, and its workin fine for my professional needs :)

maya
Nov 25, 2004, 10:28 PM
^HD video isnt fully graphics card dependent, its like DV, only with about twice the resolution. You need faster processors to handle HD, you can have any kind of gfx card in the machine and still edit/create HD video. Of course, having a better graphics card will help speed up rendering a little. I work with HD too, and I have the 64mb card on my powerbook, and it works fine, edits just like DV for me. The only thing a better graphics card will do, is help shave a few seconds off rendering time, but thats really all.

where the graphics card really comes into play, is when you are playing with 3D-style effects, like in Motion or Maya, Or gaming.

I just went with the 64mb for my powerbook, and its workin fine for my professional needs :)

Once "Tiger" 10.4 is released then the Graphic Card with more ram will definitely come in handy for HD content creation. Editing with minimal simple effects are a different story. :) CORE IMAGE

aswitcher
Nov 25, 2004, 10:45 PM
Once "Tiger" 10.4 is released then the Graphic Card with more ram will definitely come in handy for HD content creation. Editing with minimal simple effects are a different story. :) CORE IMAGE

I agree, the 128 upgrade is well worth the money