PDA

View Full Version : Anyone see the PB + iSight on Survivor?

johnbro23
Nov 25, 2004, 10:37 PM
I haven't really been watching Survivor much this season, but I did this week because its sort of become a Thanksgiving tradition. Well, they were doing a reward challenge and the survivors were told they would get a 1 hour online chat with their loved ones.

I think they picked this old lady first on purpose, because when she sat in front of the PB, she said she didnt know how to type. Then the host of the show says its a video chat and whips out his iSight and puts it on the PB.

They zoomed in on the iSight for a few seconds, and they had the apple logo in view a lot too. That was some really good advertising for apple. It even makes me want to get an iSight.

Phat_Pat
Nov 25, 2004, 11:27 PM
i didn't see it but i wish i did..... maybe someone can get some pics up?

ocellnuri
Nov 26, 2004, 12:06 AM
I'm sure Apple paid a pretty penny for the air time too.

munkle
Nov 26, 2004, 02:44 AM
Sounds like great advertising for Apple to me. Did the host make a big show of whipping out the iSight?!

Applespider
Nov 26, 2004, 03:37 AM
We don't get Survivor on this side of the Atlantic but we did get a trailer for it midway through the football - and I said to the person next to me that it looked like an iSight. Glad to know that I wasn't going nuts!

asif786
Nov 26, 2004, 04:35 AM
I'm sure Apple paid a pretty penny for the air time too.

Apple don't pay for advertising like that. That's why on some shows they cover up the Apple logo.

I too saw an iSight on One tree hill the other day - some guy was taking it out of the box and admiring it - honestly, that's what happened..

--asif

BornAgainMac
Nov 26, 2004, 08:55 AM
If I was one of the Survivors, I think I would make the comment.. "Gee, after I win the million bucks, I am going to buy one of these laptops from Apple. Windows sucks in comparision!" I would say that with my "loved one" so that it goes on the air. While talking I would be surfing the web with Safari and checking my email.

Mechcozmo
Nov 26, 2004, 09:48 AM
If I was one of the Survivors, I think I would make the comment.. "Gee, after I win the million bucks, I am going to buy one of these laptops from Apple. Windows sucks in comparision!" I would say that with my "loved one" so that it goes on the air. While talking I would be surfing the web with Safari and checking my email.
:cool: :D

Next season?

Toeknee
Nov 26, 2004, 09:52 AM
Yeah the host made a big show about sticking the iSight to the top of the computer. They had nice shots of both Apple logos on the iSight and the Powerbook. In reality I don't think they were actually hooked up to the internet and the big satellite dish was all for show. I say this because the family members they were talking to were just in a another hut in the back somewhere. They probably chatted via Rendezvous in iChat. Hopefully they didn't get sand in the 'Books keyboard while it was out there heh.

Macmaniac
Nov 26, 2004, 10:35 AM
They probably used those cool mac keyboard covers too keep the sand out.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 26, 2004, 10:45 AM
What if the iChat experience convinced all of the Survivor participants to become switchers? Wouldn't that be a big win for Apple? I'd sure like to see that...

ryan42
Nov 28, 2004, 09:03 PM
I think PowerBook keyboard covers are pretty freakin funny.

The keyboard on most PBs already touches the screen.

Hey! Let's put some rubber over it so it can do some deeper damage!

ocellnuri
Nov 28, 2004, 11:16 PM
Apple don't pay for advertising like that. That's why on some shows they cover up the Apple logo.

I too saw an iSight on One tree hill the other day - some guy was taking it out of the box and admiring it - honestly, that's what happened..

--asif

If they showed the logos, Apple paid. That's the reason the logos get covered up in other shows, because in those cases Apple didn't pay, and the producers aren't going to provide advertising for Apple if they aren't getting paid. And also, Apple would be able to sue the Producers for "damaging the cooporate identity" or something along those lines if Apple did not agree with the content of the show. It's all marketing and legalities.

From what people are saying about the Survivor spot, this was a clear cut product placement deal, and Apple paid a great deal of money to have the advertising time.

FredAkbar
Nov 28, 2004, 11:34 PM
I'm sure Apple paid for it. Survivor is full of product placement. They're always giving out things like Doritos and Mountain Dew (as opposed to chips and soda) in the reward challenges, and someone always wins a Chevy at some point.

el greenerino
Nov 29, 2004, 01:27 AM
The host also used the genie effect to bring up the chat window, which is something that always impresses PC users. Way to strut your stuff Apple!

wdlove
Nov 29, 2004, 11:37 AM
My wife watched that episode of Survivor. She is the one that has been keeping up this season. It was a great tool for Apple to get some great advertising. That was a great way to show the benefits of owning a Mac and iSight. It was certainly more bang for the buck than a thirty second commercial. In this case there is emotion and a longer view of the product.

jared_kipe
Nov 29, 2004, 01:23 PM
Apple should really push that isight/mac connection more. It sold me 2 isights and an emac just so I could talk to my girlfriend from 1200 miles away.

asif786
Nov 29, 2004, 01:28 PM
If they showed the logos, Apple paid. That's the reason the logos get covered up in other shows, because in those cases Apple didn't pay, and the producers aren't going to provide advertising for Apple if they aren't getting paid. And also, Apple would be able to sue the Producers for "damaging the cooporate identity" or something along those lines if Apple did not agree with the content of the show. It's all marketing and legalities.

From what people are saying about the Survivor spot, this was a clear cut product placement deal, and Apple paid a great deal of money to have the advertising time.

My bad, I stand corrected.

Wow, maybe this is Apple's new way of pushing OSX. It just seems so un-Appleish, dont you think?

I suppose Apple has the brand power - if someone sees an Apple logo and they want more info about the product, they dont need to be told to go to Apple.com, they just do, because everybody knows who Apple is these days.

/asif