Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JosephBergdoll

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 7, 2009
NYC
4874842578_a4f80e7889_z.jpg

large

4874094961_acbb403db1_z.jpg

large

4874703016_39aaa7dedd_z.jpg

large

sorry, no HDR bullshhh

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
photo 1 would have been helped with HDR :D

Seriously though, NYC looks like a fun place to shoot. Nice shots.

Two side notes:

-Why all the hate against HDR? I rarely use the technique, but I have nothing against it...

-You have some SICK skating photos on your site! Seriously, they are awesome. So awesome.

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
photo 1 would have been helped with HDR :D

Seriously though, NYC looks like a fun place to shoot. Nice shots.

I am not so sure about HDRing that first shot - you'd have to crop all those people out and then it would make the distortion look kind of weird.

One of the most challenging aspects of shooting in New York is dealing with people. They're everywhere. They're in your shot. They are bumping into your arm when you are composing a shot. I saw a great exhibit of photography of almost cinematic shots of NYC a year ago. The photographer: 1) used a tripod, which meant 2) he was shooting at 6am-7am. Shooting architectural shots during the day in confined spaces means the light you're getting around big buildings gives you too much contrast. Check out the skies, then imagine how your sensor will interpret that haze.

At the same time, I don't think there's a place in the USA where you can get the type of street photography opportunities you get in New York. MSUSpartan's M9 shots really capture some of the classic "city" moments that I would have to search for in LA, but in NY are ubiquitous.

I guess if I have learned anything shooting in various places and cities is that you can't really get the best of each style of photography everywhere, so you have to tailor yourself to your environment - that's what makes the forums here rewarding to both view and to participate.

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I am not so sure about HDRing that first shot - you'd have to crop all those people out and then it would make the distortion look kind of weird.

One of the most challenging aspects of shooting in New York is dealing with people. They're everywhere. They're in your shot. They are bumping into your arm when you are composing a shot. I saw a great exhibit of photography of almost cinematic shots of NYC a year ago. The photographer: 1) used a tripod, which meant 2) he was shooting at 6am-7am. Shooting architectural shots during the day in confined spaces means the light you're getting around big buildings gives you too much contrast. Check out the skies, then imagine how your sensor will interpret that haze.

At the same time, I don't think there's a place in the USA where you can get the type of street photography opportunities you get in New York. MSUSpartan's M9 shots really capture some of the classic "city" moments that I would have to search for in LA, but in NY are ubiquitous.

I guess if I have learned anything shooting in various places and cities is that you can't really get the best of each style of photography everywhere, so you have to tailor yourself to your environment - that's what makes the forums here rewarding to both view and to participate.

haha I was totally joking.

Interesting tidbit about using a tripod and shooting at 6amish. I have been meaning to make some shots in downtown MPLS and this is an approach that might just get me out of bed early enough to do this. Or maybe I'll just stay up late enough to do this??

Would you happen to know the photogs name or website or anything?

ManhattanPrjct

macrumors 6502
Oct 6, 2008
Would you happen to know the photogs name or website or anything?

I wish I could remember - but I think you could google around and find some other examples. He used a lot of longer exposure shots with filters, so his early morning skies had a very distinctive smoky look. Add to that the desolation of the inactivity you can expect at that early hour in a city... needless to say it was pretty cool.

You just have to be on the looking out for these posters:

tripodterrorlogo.jpg

MattSepeta

macrumors 65816
Jul 9, 2009
375th St. Y
I wish I could remember - but I think you could google around and find some other examples. He used a lot of longer exposure shots with filters, so his early morning skies had a very distinctive smoky look. Add to that the desolation of the inactivity you can expect at that early hour in a city... needless to say it was pretty cool.

You just have to be on the looking out for these posters:

tripodterrorlogo.jpg

lol!

I officially took tomorrow off to go do some downtown early morning shooting!

Regarding the Tripod Terror alert, I encountered the official enforcers in DC numerous times.

The best part was that I was there visiting my dad who works for the fed providing legal advice, and it was pretty hilarious watching him question the Parks service employees asking for them to elaborate as to whether the tripod ban was an ordinance, a law, etc... None of them had ANY idea what they were talking about and got quite hostile after just a few polite questions.

In Minneapolis I doubt I will get hassled, maybe just a quick "Hey dare whatcha dooin?"

Not sure if it's the person he was talking about, but maybe it was a project called 'New York Sleeps' by Christopher Thomas. Remarkable stuff.

I just looked at what I could find on that, and the photos look incredible! I love the sepia tone, different from the harsh contrast b/w you normally see in city stuff. Thanks for sharing

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.