Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
USA
Not for style but for quality;)

If you want to go on ebay and get a 9.99 rubber case be my guest.

onne2slick

macrumors regular
Jun 9, 2010
Otterbox has got to be one of the ugliest cases in my books. (Just my opinon, but feel free to disagree, haha!)

No, but seriously, who needs THAT much protection? Like, what are you.. in WW3?
Christ, you're protecting it against drops, not against King Kong.

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 26, 2010
USA
Otterbox has got to be one of the ugliest cases in my books. (Just my opinon, but feel free to disagree, haha!)

No, but seriously, who needs THAT much protection? Like, what are you.. in WW3?
Christ, you're protecting it against drops, not against King Kong.

It's very nice for construction but you wouldn't know that because you guys don't build huge bridges and highways.......you just drive on them.

When I worked on the 35W bridge I went through 4 work phones 2 of them dropped in the river below and the other developed cracks.

Now that I have an otter box I don't have to worry about that.

bandrews

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2008
It's very nice for construction but you wouldn't know that because you guys don't build huge bridges and highways.......you just drive on them.

When I worked on the 35W bridge I went through 4 work phones 2 of them dropped in the river below and the other developed cracks.

Now that I have an otter box I don't have to worry about that.

I'm with you there - I've just ordered one because as a farmer my past two iphones have ended up scratched and battered with dust in every little hole it could go in - even with a good case on. Also, my last iPhone fell out of my pocket onto the concrete yard and the screen smashed. This is what I've needed for ages and not going to risk ruining my shiny new iPhone 4.

The cases aren't permanent you know - you can always take the phone out any time you want to be seen with it in public!

Jay42

macrumors 65816
Jul 14, 2005
I can't help but feel like the Apple engineers that worked tirelessly to squeeze every tenth of a millimeter out of the iPhone 4's thickness are just frustrated when they see people stick their phones in cases like these...

daveathall

macrumors 68020
Aug 6, 2010
North Yorkshire
I would use it in certain situations, but for every day use it is too bulky and detracts from the look of the phone, it does what it says on the tin, I had one for my 3GS but swapped it for a Vaja leather case.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
Personally, I like this one (even though it's not out yet)

http://www.smalldog.com/product/76756/contour-showcase-with-holster-stand-for-iphone-4

Had the 3G version and loved it. Think this one strikes a nice balance between protection as well as style. Not a fan of the kickstand/holster thing but I'm sure it'll come in handy soon enough.

I also have one of the eBay knock off Otterbox cases too which I use for travel purposes.

PS. anyone else thing that Small Dog Electronics logo looks like Pedo Bear? Or is it just me?

joneill55

macrumors 6502
Sep 11, 2007
MY God that case is butt-ass fugly! If you need that much protection, maybe you need a rubber phone.

Cuthbert

macrumors regular
Feb 4, 2008
I think it's a great case and I work in a white collar environment. I tend to switch between that and my vaja case - two very different styles, but both are useful for different situations.

JustinSaneV2

macrumors 6502
Jul 1, 2010
The Otterbox Defenders are some of the best cases I've seen so far (as in they excel in performing their duty AS A CASE).

lorenwade

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2008
Then it is not the "best case of all time".

And ugly to boot.

I can understand some peple getting a case like this because they're super clumsy or need a lot of protection on the job. Otherwise, I think it's overkill.

bigtrip

macrumors newbie
Jun 23, 2010
If you think any case is going to protect your phone in a fall off of a bridge, then maybe you'd like to buy this bridge I have for sale.

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
And ugly to boot.

I can understand some peple getting a case like this because they're super clumsy or need a lot of protection on the job. Otherwise, I think it's overkill.

and most likely reflects the flash back into the camera lens, look at that 'tiny' cutout

joshwithachance

macrumors 68010
Dec 11, 2009
I think the Defender looks GOOD! to me, it gives the phone a better feel in the hand and the built-in screen protecter is quite good! I love the cut-out for the Apple logo and how everything is covered by easy to open flaps.

Zepaw

macrumors 65816
Apr 18, 2010
MN
I want a case with protection without sacrificing so much. I'm hoping the iPhone 4 version of the PDO Silk Slider case is as the iPhone 3GS version. Nice case and survived way more drops than any phone should have to endure.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.