Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Nickols12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Hello. I am using a 2010 MacBook Pro (i7). I have installed Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit on Bootcamp. Had to go to the command line to install the drivers. Now, I have a problem. While the native resolution is 1440x900, the resolution of windows does not go beyond 1280x800. Anyone help me? Oh, i have done every update and I am running OS X 10.6.4 (if that's the latest version. I'm on windows right now).:)

Kaviar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
You could try forcing the resolution to 1440x900.
There's an option in Windows to hide/unhide modes your monitor can support.

Let's see if I can find a screen shot...
Bingo >
http://www.sevenforums.com/attachme...sh-rate-display-settings-monitor_settings.jpg

> Right-click on your desktop
> Hit screen resolution.
> And there should be a link on the right called "Advanced Settings"
> Hit that and you should see a tab called "Monitor"
> Once your in that tab it should look just like the screen shop above.
> Hopefully the "Hide Modes" box isn't already un-ticked or greyed out.

Worth a shot :)

Kaviar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Yup. It is greyed out. and my only option on the screen refresh rate menu is hardware default setting. :(
Damn!

Hmm...
I wonder if it's down to you having issues when you installed Windows. You shouldn't needed to have faff around installing the drivers I would have thought.

I would have said try get the drivers from ATi's site but were not just talking about ATi in your case. There's the Intel Graphics as well. I wonder if that's where your issue lies.

One thing you could try is uninstall the GPU('s) and monitor from within Device Manager, reboot and see what Windows can do. It should know what both devices are but I just don't know what it will do with both of them

I'm grabbing at straws here and say anything will work for sure. Just trying to give you some options :)

Nickols12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Thank you very much for your help, Kaviar, but I decided it was a better idea to install 32-bit win7. Oh, no, I'm not going to get a headache for half a gig of RAM! :rolleyes:

Nickols12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Installed 32-bit and the problem persists! I installed every driver through the Snow Leopard disk normally. Still goes up to 1280x800. Plus, I can't play any games. I couldn't play games with 64-bit windows either. That's the only reason I use windows. I don't know. I love my macbook and I can't afford risking or messing with it.

Kaviar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Thank you very much for your help, Kaviar, but I decided it was a better idea to install 32-bit win7. Oh, no, I'm not going to get a headache for half a gig of RAM! :rolleyes:
It's alright mate :)

If your only gonna loose 512MB then then 32bit is worth a go.

Installed 32-bit and the problem persists! I installed every driver through the Snow Leopard disk normally. Still goes up to 1280x800. Plus, I can't play any games. I couldn't play games with 64-bit windows either. That's the only reason I use windows. I don't know. I love my macbook and I can't afford risking or messing with it.
Bad times :(
When you look in 'Device Manager' (just type it in to your star bar search) is there anything in there that looks a little suspect? Any yellow question marks?

When you say you can't play games? Does it just not do anything when you load the game?

It's strange that it happens on both the 32 and 64bit versions as they will use different drivers. Just for the hell of it try installing the drivers for ATi's website.

Nickols12345

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 11, 2010
Thank you really much Kaviar! I managed to fix everything by installing the right drivers. I installed the drivers from the Snow Leopard disk (which I bought last october) instead of the leopard disk that came with my mbp. :rolleyes:
AND I managed to install 64-bit instead :D

Kaviar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Thank you really much Kaviar! I managed to fix everything by installing the right drivers. I installed the drivers from the Snow Leopard disk (which I bought last october) instead of the leopard disk that came with my mbp. :rolleyes:
AND I managed to install 64-bit instead :D
My pleasure mate, sorry i wasn't more help. I never thought about what version of OSX you were useing as I thought you would have got Snow Leopard with your MBP seeing as you got it after Snow Leopard was released??!!

Glad to hear it's all up and running :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.