PDA

View Full Version : Can anyone tell me what this cable is?

unsung
Nov 26, 2004, 08:29 AM
It is used to attach an iPod into the AUX input of a Mercedes Benz. I want to use it to hook my Powerbook or iPod into the input of the car stereo system.

Also where would be the best place to get a quality one?

Thanks.

slooksterPSV
Nov 26, 2004, 08:33 AM
The things about those is that they are specially made just for the Mercadezi Benz. It won't work in any other vehicle. I don't know what the cable is, but you can buy an adapter for the iPod where you can play it through the tape system of your vehicle... or through the system some how, but like I said that cable is specially made just for the Benz.

dotnina
Nov 26, 2004, 08:46 AM
The things about those is that they are specially made just for the Mercadezi Benz. It won't work in any other vehicle. I don't know what the cable is, but you can buy an adapter for the iPod where you can play it through the tape system of your vehicle... or through the system some how, but like I said that cable is specially made just for the Benz.

How can you tell it's just for the Mercedes? It's almost impossible to know what the cable is -- all I'm seeing is an already plugged-in cord.

If your head unit has an AUX input, you're in luck. All you need is a very common cable (the name escapes me -- Minijack, something, something?). I'm not sure this is the right size, but it looks like this: http://www.kellysmusicandcomputers.com/productinfo.asp?id=1034012564&aff=5998

So, all you'd need to do is plug one end into the iPod, and plug the other end into your car radio. Easy as pie.

unsung
Nov 26, 2004, 08:52 AM
I just had the AUX jack installed two days ago in my car. I just need to know what cable would be used to attach to either my Powerbook or an iPod with one end being connected to the AUX jack in my glove box. Since I don't have an iPod (I'm the last on the planet...putting it off for new updated versions) I'm not sure what the connection is that goes into it. I would imagine, maybe I am wrong, but if I were to go from the Powerbook would I use the headphone jack into the AUX jack of the car?

dotnina
Nov 26, 2004, 09:12 AM
I just had the AUX jack installed two days ago in my car. I just need to know what cable would be used to attach to either my Powerbook or an iPod with one end being connected to the AUX jack in my glove box. Since I don't have an iPod (I'm the last on the planet...putting it off for new updated versions) I'm not sure what the connection is that goes into it. I would imagine, maybe I am wrong, but if I were to go from the Powerbook would I use the headphone jack into the AUX jack of the car?

Gotcha. You're exactly right -- if you wanted to play audio from your PB through the car's speakers, you'd just connect the two with a cable. After some Googling, I'm somewhat confident the cable is called a 3.5mm stereo audio cable. Both ends are identical. Basically, if both ends of the cable fit into your PB's headphone jack, you've picked the right one.

PS: I'm not sure any of these cables might be significantly better than others. My boyfriend keeps an absolutely ancient one of these cables in his car, so we can listen to music off my iPod. We've also used the cable that connects my PB to my speakers ... didn't notice a difference in sound with either cable.

unsung
Nov 26, 2004, 11:51 AM
Great, thank you.

slooksterPSV
Nov 26, 2004, 04:04 PM
From what all the sites I looked at said, it was only for a certain Mercediez Benz, I knew you could hook it up another way or get it specialized, but yeah.