Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

094723-ipad_iphone_apple_tv.jpg

DigiTimes today offers a number of claims related to Apple's iOS platform, agreeing with other recent reports that the Verizon iPhone will launch in January, with new 9.7" and 7" iPads and iOS-based Apple TV also set for introduction early next year.

- iPad: DigiTimes claims that Apple will refresh its iPad in the first quarter of 2011, moving to a processor based on ARM's Cortex-A9 design, up from the current Apple A4 chip leveraging the Cortex-A8 design. The report also claims that the new iPad will carry the same 512 MB of RAM as the iPhone 4, up from the 256 MB found in the current iPad.

According to the report, the iPad will be available in both the existing 9.7-inch screen size and a smaller 7-inch size. The smaller version is, however, said to carry the same 1024x768 resolution of the existing iPad, resulting in an increase in pixel density to 183 ppi from 132 ppi. While not offering the same high resolution as the iPhone 4's Retina display at 326 ppi, content on the smaller iPad would appear a bit sharper than on the larger version.

DigiTimes previously claimed that Apple was planning both 5.6" and 7" iPad models using OLED display technology, although even it cast doubt on its own sources' OLED claims. And just last week, another report claimed that a 7" iPad is on its way by early next year.

- CDMA iPhone: As previously reported, Pegatron is claimed to begin production of a CDMA-based iPhone in December for an introduction at CES in January and shipping during that same month. The report also claims that the CDMA-based iPhone, which will be targeted to Verizon in the U.S. and China Telecom in that country, will carry a metal back instead of the glass back found on the iPhone 4. DigiTimes also references an "integrated antenna" that will be part of the back plate, a seemingly significant redesign from the iPhone 4's antennas built into the edges of the device.

- Apple TV: Finally, the report claims that Apple is preparing to introduce a new Apple TV based on AMD's Fusion platform. The new device, which has been rumored for several months, is said to lack a hard drive and run an interface similar to, and presumably based on, iOS. Support for "social networking websites, network multimedia and the App Store" is said to be included. Mass production of the new Apple TV is reportedly set for December, with an introduction presumably planned for early 2011.

Article Link: Cortex A9-Based iPads, Verizon iPhone, iOS-Based Apple TV Set for 1Q 2011 Launch?

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Slap a front fowarding webcam on the iPad too!

Digitimes have had an extremely poor track record on its predictions / rumours...

AbSoluTc

Suspended
Sep 21, 2008
A 7" iPad huh? The iPad itself already has a problem with finding it's niche. Never mind a 7" version. To top it all off, a Verizon iPhone huh? Hasn't that been brought up every year since the iPhone has been out? Lol. I guess if you keep talking about it and wishing hard enough it may eventually come true? :rolleyes:

Popeye206

macrumors 68040
Sep 6, 2007
NE PA USA
Yeah... 7 inch iPad just does not make sense to me either. New Apple TV is cool though.

Also, January Launch for all this seems odd. Not in line with Apple's normal Spring/fall releases for major updates. You'd think AppleTV update and updated iPads would be pushed in time for the holiday season.

ltcol266845

macrumors regular
Aug 25, 2006
Elgin, IL
I like the sound of a 7" iPad, personally. I skipped out on the first-gen, perhaps the second gen iPad will be worth the purchase :)

As for a CDMA iPhone... I really hope Apple looks beyond only AT&T and Verizon, and considers selling phones on any carrier. They already have a GSM phone and if they add a CDMA, what's to stop them from offering it on T-mobile, AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular and Verizon? (I'm pulling for Sprint, I just switched to an EVO, and while I like it a lot, I miss iOS)

SteveKnobs

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
CMU
So should I return the iPad that I just bought and wait till next year? 512 MB RAM sounds good. And no hard drive on the TV- why not?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
- Last And Most Importantly: Steve will unveil all these magnificent products in a hot neon green pair of tights, red hairbow, while assisted by 4 of Santa's Elves. :rolleyes:

Xavier

macrumors demi-god
Mar 23, 2006
Columbus
These Verizon rumors are really starting to line up. To me, it seems plausible.

I like the idea of an OLED iPad.

Hyata

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2010
Why? do you plan on playing video games on your ATV?

No point in buying an ipad now, not with new models just over the horizon.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
Will the iPad have a freaking stylus?!

I absolutely agree with you. I would REALLY like to use an iPad to take and annotate lecture notes (PDFs). That would be awesome. Not just some random 3rd party app and pen... Saw a couple of people got iPads in class but that that's still read-only and still need pen and paper to jot things down.

Webcam as well... if Apple really wants to expand the FaceTime market this is pretty much how they should do. Stick a webcam onto all of its iDevices...

whatever

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2001
South of Boston, MA
I keep forgetting that this is a rumor site.

Verizon - Not going to happen. Apple is not going to change it's iPhone release schedule. If by chance it comes out, it will be the same as the current iPhone 4. With the next version of the iPhone coming out in June. Which is still a longer life cycle than most phones on Verizon.

iPad - will be kept on a one year life cycle

Apple TV - expect to see that in the Fall.

NinjaHERO

macrumors 6502a
Aug 29, 2008
U S of A
A slightly smaller ipad seems odd to me. I would think a slightly larger Iphone would make more sense if you are trying to bridge the gap. But I guess we will see.

Is it January yet?:D

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
...and the metal back iPhone :/ unless they still stick a piece of glass on top of that metal back it's gonna look like the 1st generation iPhone...

I had the 2G iPhone for nearly 3 years and I like the metal back very much. Except it looks like it's really easy to dent.

triceretops

macrumors regular
Feb 28, 2003
Illinois
I'm with you

I like the sound of a 7" iPad, personally. I skipped out on the first-gen, perhaps the second gen iPad will be worth the purchase :)

As for a CDMA iPhone... I really hope Apple looks beyond only AT&T and Verizon, and considers selling phones on any carrier. They already have a GSM phone and if they add a CDMA, what's to stop them from offering it on T-mobile, AT&T, Sprint, US Cellular and Verizon? (I'm pulling for Sprint, I just switched to an EVO, and while I like it a lot, I miss iOS)

If they released a Sprint phone, I would buy one today!

BillyBobBongo

macrumors 68030
Jun 21, 2007
On The Interweb Thingy!
iPad - will be kept on a one year life cycle

Aye, there's no way they'll update the iPad before that yearly cycle is over. Add to that that there are people that still won't get it til the end of the year....

Still, I'd love to believe that the Apple TV might finally see an update...but I don't trust DigiTimes. Oh what a dilema. :p

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.