PDA

View Full Version : Apple Allows Developers to Offer 50% Discount to Educational Institutions for Bulk App Store Purchases

MacRumors
Aug 9, 2010, 01:53 PM
http://www.macrumors.com/images/macrumorsthreadlogo.gif (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/08/09/apple-allows-developers-to-offer-50-discount-to-educational-institutions-for-bulk-app-store-purchases/)

http://images.macrumors.com/article/2010/08/09/145255-app_store_edu_discount_500.jpg

As noted by Mac|Life (http://www.maclife.com/article/news/developers_can_finally_give_students_break_app_store), a change to Apple's App Store developer agreement today reveals that the company has rolled out a new discount program to allow developers to offer their applications to educational institutions at a 50% discount when multiple copies of an app are purchased at the same time.

Developers logging into their iTunes Connect accounts today are being met with a disclosure of the revised terms and an easy radio button selection to allow all of their existing apps to be offered under the new program. Alternatively, developers can manually manage which apps are available at the discounted bulk purchasing price.

Further details on how the program will work from the purchasing side are not yet known.

Article Link: Apple Allows Developers to Offer 50% Discount to Educational Institutions for Bulk App Store Purchases (http://www.macrumors.com/iphone/2010/08/09/apple-allows-developers-to-offer-50-discount-to-educational-institutions-for-bulk-app-store-purchases/)

guzhogi
Aug 9, 2010, 02:29 PM
How does one buy multiple copies of a program? I work at a school & we have a bunch of iPod Touches plus a handful of iPads. WOuld be great if we could get a discount.

johnhmeyer123
Aug 9, 2010, 03:30 PM
I as a developer just enabled this for one of my apps that can be used by science / engineering classes. As for the schools, I believe you have to request this type of service from Apple themselves.

spillproof
Aug 9, 2010, 03:32 PM
Hmmm, interesting. I hope if this means I could get the iPad Pages app from my uni's computer store for $5.

SteveLV702
Aug 9, 2010, 07:53 PM
well they gonna do this they should then allow developers to offer Military Discount :)

iVoid
Aug 9, 2010, 10:10 PM
Um.... schools can already buy ONE app and sync it with unlimited iPhones/iPod Touches/iPads. How is this better? (except for Apple and the developer)

6daniels
Aug 10, 2010, 12:55 AM
Um.... schools can already buy ONE app and sync it with unlimited iPhones/iPod Touches/iPads. How is this better? (except for Apple and the developer)

I know, i dont get it? :confused:

appleguy123
Aug 10, 2010, 12:56 AM
Does Apple still take 30%? This might be compelling if they didn't.

nwcs
Aug 10, 2010, 07:19 AM

Wouldn't that be a licensing problem, strictly speaking?

gnagy
Aug 10, 2010, 11:03 AM

Schools can also pirate the apps using jail-broken devices. Just because they can do that it doesn't make it legal. How is this better? For one thing, it's legal.

Wouldn't that be a licensing problem, strictly speaking?

Yes, it's definitely a licensing problem. What iVoid is describing is completely illegal. I would hope schools try to set a good example by acquiring software in a legal manner.

The Sicilian
Aug 10, 2010, 04:00 PM

Apple is something else, and its infectious to the followers, as I have read in some of the postings on here. For example: The post where someone was looking for an apple hardware discount asset,.... yes, they wanted to see if anyone had an unused asset, they just did not go about asking in a clear and appropriate manner, yes agreed. But so many chimed in to scold the OP and demand he purchase his own membership, or they'd sell him one (asset) for $350. If someone had an extra, then why let it go to waste? Youre all worse than Gates and sound just as greedy and money hungry instead of making an effort to help another person out.
And for the ignorant who asked "how did you purchase it without the asset in the first place", YOU CAN. the order will go through, and you will receive an email stating that you must submit your asset before the product is built and sent out. Also, one program level allows more than one asset as well, so those who whined about giving up their one and only asset allowed by apple for life, should learn the facts b4 trying to make such a dramatic statement.
I believe the limit on the premier is 10 assets.
There WAS a time when fellow Mac users were like a big family and would help each other out in many aspects of this now cold blooded industry.
Believe me, I am quite aware just how "robotic" apple employees are now-a-days, its like a bunch of brainwashed nazis bought out the company and give NO BREAKS TO ANY-VUN!! Sieg Heil!!! I know some personally, and have done so much for them and helped them out and gave them breaks on a friendship level as is customary in a true friendship, and they offer NUH-SINGK in return when it comes to their precious fruit. Its sad and pathetic, but true. So after being a Mac follower from the beginning, I just spend my time and money on an HP with twice the bells and whistles, AND BLURAY HD etc., for less than a base mac pro.

ansl
Aug 13, 2010, 06:42 AM
Apple is something else, and its infectious to the followers, as I have read in some of the postings on here. For example: The post where someone was looking for an apple hardware discount asset,.... yes, they wanted to see if anyone had an unused asset, they just did not go about asking in a clear and appropriate manner, yes agreed. But so many chimed in to scold the OP and demand he purchase his own membership, or they'd sell him one (asset) for $350. If someone had an extra, then why let it go to waste? Youre all worse than Gates and sound just as greedy and money hungry instead of making an effort to help another person out.
And for the ignorant who asked "how did you purchase it without the asset in the first place", YOU CAN. the order will go through, and you will receive an email stating that you must submit your asset before the product is built and sent out. Also, one program level allows more than one asset as well, so those who whined about giving up their one and only asset allowed by apple for life, should learn the facts b4 trying to make such a dramatic statement.
I believe the limit on the premier is 10 assets.
There WAS a time when fellow Mac users were like a big family and would help each other out in many aspects of this now cold blooded industry.
Believe me, I am quite aware just how "robotic" apple employees are now-a-days, its like a bunch of brainwashed nazis bought out the company and give NO BREAKS TO ANY-VUN!! Sieg Heil!!! I know some personally, and have done so much for them and helped them out and gave them breaks on a friendship level as is customary in a true friendship, and they offer NUH-SINGK in return when it comes to their precious fruit. Its sad and pathetic, but true. So after being a Mac follower from the beginning, I just spend my time and money on an HP with twice the bells and whistles, AND BLURAY HD etc., for less than a base mac pro.

wow. nerdrage at its best.

euredom
Aug 15, 2010, 03:40 AM
Sweet! Going to enable this for a couple of my apps!