Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaximusUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
I have a 1.33ghz 1.28gb ram 14" ibook. I have leopard on it and have optimized it as much as possible. Ive got youtube videos running pretty smoothly but there in an online TV service I use that drops a frame every couple of seconds. I was wondering if i overclocked the graphics card by 10% will in slightly improve the playback of flash? I only need a very slight bump in speed.

Intell

macrumors P6
Jan 24, 2010
Inside
I don't the issue is the graphic card. It's most likely the CPU. I'm not sure if G4 iBooks are overclockable. My guess is they are not.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
if it has an ati card there is an app to do it somewhere, BUT it will make the gpu die much quicker, if you still want to do it i can find it for you

MaximusUK

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Jul 21, 2010
Yeah its a 9200. I found the program. Ive overclocked it about 6%. That shouldnt do much damage hopefully

JaguarGod

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2010
Yeah, just be careful as it is easy to overheat the gpu even at small incremental speedups. Sometimes it is not worth the extra speed to ruin the gpu. I ruined a Radeon 9800 GPU for one of my Sawtooth G4's and it was a tiny speed increase.:( But it still fun to play around with.

max¥¥

macrumors 6502a
Aug 7, 2008
Over there....
Yeah, just be careful as it is easy to overheat the gpu even at small incremental speedups. Sometimes it is not worth the extra speed to ruin the gpu. I ruined a Radeon 9800 GPU for one of my Sawtooth G4's and it was a tiny speed increase.:( But it still fun to play around with.

i cooked one of my old ibook g3's with it, you need to be very careful

MacHamster68

macrumors 68040
Sep 17, 2009
even if you could manage to get the gpu overclocked by 200% it will still drop frames as for flashplayer , and i guess all online video streams are made using flashplayer ,flash just needs a hell of a lot cpu power without doing anything really ,but the gpu is important too
as i see it on my eMacs 1.42 models which have the ati 9600 with 64mb vram and 2gb ram do far better at youtube and other video streaming thingys then my mini with same processor but only 1gb ram and the ati 9200 with 32mb

ok i am happy with the ibook i got its the you guess it a 1.42ghz g4 one with ati 9550 and 32mb and it works a bit better then the mini on youtube , but not as good as the eMac's , so i just forget flash and use html5 ..sorted

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.