PDA

View Full Version : upgrade 64bm vid card to 128mb in PB?

stkim
Nov 26, 2004, 03:37 PM
I plan on doing a lot of graphics intensive programs in the future, maya, rhino, form z. i would like to upgrade from the 64mb card in my 1.25 15" powerbook to 128mb. can someone tell me how i can do this? is this something i can upgrade myself?

thanks,

steve

Little Endian
Nov 26, 2004, 04:36 PM
This is something that cannot be done at all period. The GPU is soldered to the Motherboard which also has the CPU soldered onto it. The only way would be to take the entire MOBO and CPU from the the 1.5Ghz PB with 128MB Radeon Mobility and swap it which in theory could be done but would probably cost over $1000 assuming you could even get a MOBO so your better of just selling your machine.

Mechcozmo
Nov 26, 2004, 06:36 PM
Just get the bigger one now. It will be more useful down the road, although GPU power doesn't translate into better graphics performance unless that is Motion or some game. CPU power is also quite essential.

daveL
Nov 26, 2004, 06:55 PM
Just get the bigger one now. It will be more useful down the road, although GPU power doesn't translate into better graphics performance unless that is Motion or some game. CPU power is also quite essential.
Since when does 3D modeling not benefit from GPU performance?

Macmaniac
Nov 26, 2004, 06:59 PM
If you are really lucky and can somehow find a 128 VRAM PB Logic board you might be able to replace the MLB.