Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hcho3

macrumors 68030
Original poster
May 13, 2010
Just got iSpot 4G from Clear and I had a chance to use it for 2 days now. And I decided to write a quick review on it, and I hope this helps out folks out there who just decided to opt out for Wi-Fi Ipad.

The download Speed is around 3-5 MB/s in my area (Maryland) Upload is around 0.8MB. Some people claimed that it goes away up like 9 MB/s, but I really doubt cause this thing has speed cap at 6MB for download and 1MB for download, but I would love to proven wrong. Battery life was indeed around 4-5 hours of usage. Here are my pros and Cons on this device.

Pros: Light, No-Contract, the device is 99 dollars (Fair price) and it's only 25 dollars a month. Wi-Max connection is a lot faster than AT&T 3G or Verizon Mifi. Can connect up to 8 Apple mobile Devices

Cons: There is no coverage in LA or SF. In other words, if you don't live in 4G city, then you are out of luck. Their coverage is still not good. Didn't work right away from the box and had a trouble setting it up with iPad. It runs really hot. Cannot connect PC or laptops unless you do Mac spoofing.

If you have any questions, I would love to help out. I will be keeping this device. For 25 dollars, it's not bad at all for those of who have iPad and iPhone.

pelicanflip

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2009
NYC
I was interested in it until I saw their coverage map.

Blatantly pitiful. Useful for those with coverage, worthless to those without.

1appleAday

macrumors regular
Mar 27, 2008
NetFlix streaming and Face time tests

Hi OP, if possible can you try streaming Netflix to your iPad using iSpot? I wonder how's the pic quality and how smooth it is.

Also, do you happen to have iPhone4? If yes, can you try face time?

Finally, have you tried connecting multiple iPhone/iPod Touch/iPad to the iSpot all at the same time? How's the performance?

Thanks in advance!

jasg49

macrumors member
Mar 19, 2010
Netflix is fine, don't have Facetime and have only tried an iPad and MacBook with my iSpot.

The iSpot is just a router and will not really affect Netflix, Facetime or multiple devices - the key factor is going to be the quality of the connection and the speed you can get in your area.

I consistently get 3-6 mbps and on Netflix cannot tell my iSpot from my 25 mbps FiOS connection via Airport Extreme.

likemyorbs

macrumors 68000
Jul 20, 2008
NJ
So you can only use it on iOS devices natively, the data plan costs as much as an iPad data plan, and the device costs $100 (nearly the price difference of a 3g ipad), and to top it all off it only works in 4G coverage areas. Sounds like a great deal! not really...

Chupa Chupa

macrumors G5
Jul 16, 2002
So you can only use it on iOS devices natively, the data plan costs as much as an iPad data plan, and the device costs $100 (nearly the price difference of a 3g ipad), and to top it all off it only works in 4G coverage areas. Sounds like a great deal! not really...

Rebuttal:

1) Technically you can only use it on iOS devices, but works on my MBPs out of the box (Have not attempted to hack it or spoof my MBPs MAC address). I'm sure Clear will force and updated firmware to correct this, but for now I don't have a prob using my MBPs. YMMV.

2) Data costs as much as the top tier ATT 3G data plan BUT you get 1) unlimited data and 2) speeds that are 2-3x faster. I'm easily getting 4mbps w/ the iSpot where I only get 1.2mbps w/ the ATT 3G.

3) iSpot costs $99, but the upgrade from the Wi-Fi to the WiFi to 3G model is $129. The iSpot lets you connect to 8 iOS devices simultaneously. You cannot tether the iPad.

4) WiMax coverage is limited, but growing. Clear won't even sell you an iSpot if WiMax isn't available where you live. If you travel a lot it may not be a great option, but if you primarily use your iPad locally, and WiMax service is copious, there is a lot of upside to getting it.

FortWorthMac

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2008
the parched earth of North Texas
Just got iSpot 4G from Clear and I had a chance to use it for 2 days now. And I decided to write a quick review on it, and I hope this helps out folks out there who just decided to opt out for Wi-Fi Ipad.

The download Speed is around 3-5 MB/s in my area (Maryland) Upload is around 0.8MB. Some people claimed that it goes away up like 9 MB/s, but I really doubt cause this thing has speed cap at 6MB for download and 1MB for download, but I would love to proven wrong. Battery life was indeed around 4-5 hours of usage. Here are my pros and Cons on this device.

Pros: Light, No-Contract, the device is 99 dollars (Fair price) and it's only 25 dollars a month. Wi-Max connection is a lot faster than AT&T 3G or Verizon Mifi. Can connect up to 8 Apple mobile Devices

Cons: There is no coverage in LA or SF. In other words, if you don't live in 4G city, then you are out of luck. Their coverage is still not good. Didn't work right away from the box and had a trouble setting it up with iPad. It runs really hot. Cannot connect PC or laptops unless you do Mac spoofing.

If you have any questions, I would love to help out. I will be keeping this device. For 25 dollars, it's not bad at all for those of who have iPad and iPhone.

Are you sure it's capped? This morning I just ran a test and got 7.56Mmbs down. That's of course the fastest test I've ever gotten. This was on my iPad.

tivoboy

macrumors 68040
May 15, 2005
Rebuttal:

1) Technically you can only use it on iOS devices, but works on my MBPs out of the box (Have not attempted to hack it or spoof my MBPs MAC address). I'm sure Clear will force and updated firmware to correct this, but for now I don't have a prob using my MBPs. YMMV.

2) Data costs as much as the top tier ATT 3G data plan BUT you get 1) unlimited data and 2) speeds that are 2-3x faster. I'm easily getting 4mbps w/ the iSpot where I only get 1.2mbps w/ the ATT 3G.

3) iSpot costs $99, but the upgrade from the Wi-Fi to the WiFi to 3G model is $129. The iSpot lets you connect to 8 iOS devices simultaneously. You cannot tether the iPad.

4) WiMax coverage is limited, but growing. Clear won't even sell you an iSpot if WiMax isn't available where you live. If you travel a lot it may not be a great option, but if you primarily use your iPad locally, and WiMax service is copious, there is a lot of upside to getting it.

I only pay 25$ for the unlimited plan, so that is a little cheaper than the iphone unlimited plan at 30$,

but, I ALSO have unlimited access with several MBP's, 2008 model and the FIRST unibody model AND an imac from 2007, without any hacking.

I'm not sure how spot would FORCE a firmware update, other than disabling the device until one did that, but that would be VERY sketch.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.