PDA

View Full Version : Apple's Market Share?

Shrek
Aug 20, 2002, 01:48 PM
Anyone know anything about Apple's market share lately? I know it's like 3-4%, but is it steadily going up, down, or staying about the same. Anyone?

topicolo
Aug 20, 2002, 02:18 PM
I believe it went up from 3.4% to 3.6% or something. Not too exciting, but as long as it's increasing...

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 02:51 PM
I believe it was 2.4 percent in the USA last year and rose to 3.48 percent this year.

<waits for someone to prove him wrong> :)

bbarnhart
Aug 20, 2002, 03:05 PM
The percentage of people using Mac OS to look at images on my web server that are linked from Fark.com is 6%. As confusing as it may sound, you could say that Apple's marketshare of Fark.com visitors is 6%.

topicolo
Aug 20, 2002, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by bousozoku
I believe it was 2.4 percent in the USA last year and rose to 3.48 percent this year.

<waits for someone to prove him wrong> :)

you got that backwards bousozoku. Apple's worldwide market share is 2.4percent and the US market share increased to 3.48% from 3.23% the year prior. Check it out here (http://maccentral.macworld.com/news/0207/03.marketshare.php)

bousozoku
Aug 20, 2002, 08:21 PM
Hey...was I not waiting? Hmm...? :D

jefhatfield
Aug 21, 2002, 05:15 AM
the best way to get market share is to lower prices...which apple has been doing for a long time...but not fast enough IMO

ibook started at 1599 and now starts at 1199...but should start at 999...this is the most crucial item i think apple has to lower to spearhead their increased market share...i could see apple going 1099 in mwsf '03...then going to 1049 in march...and finally to 999 in the summer of '03

i have seen pc laptops at 999, but for some reason , no longer at 899 anymore...i think lcds have gone up in value again...temporarily (but if pcs go back down to a 899 entry level laptop, apple can still compete with a 999 entry level model...the key is being under one grand)

lcd imac should go down to 1199

emac should go down to 999

crt imac started at 1299 and now starts at 799...but should be 599

powermac starts at 1600-1700 and that's ok for a pro tower...1500 would be nice, though

tibook starts at 2500-2600 but should start somewhere lower, but i am not sure how much lower...maybe the 2199 tibook on special i have seen from time to time can be 1999?

let's find a lowering in price where it will up the market share, but don't lower it so much it infringes on the profit margin of the product

and osx, bring that down from 129 to 99 dollars

my 2 cents on increasing apple market share;)

backspinner
Aug 21, 2002, 05:58 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
the key is being under one grand

Big part of the Apple market is outside the USA, and there we pay more because of longer warranty and shipping and tax and so on. Your prices would therefore only do half their work since $999 has no meaning as soon as you are in tax-payer-land.

jefhatfield
Aug 21, 2002, 06:07 AM
Originally posted by backspinner

Big part of the Apple market is outside the USA, and there we pay more because of longer warranty and shipping and tax and so on. Your prices would therefore only do half their work since $999 has no meaning as soon as you are in tax-payer-land.

999 with vat and extra costs (tariffs) is still better than 1199 with vat and extra costs (tariffs)

it will be ages before apple has an enty level ibook at 999 pounds in the uk...unless something drastic happens with the exchange rate

and by the time an entry level ibook is 999 pounds including vat in the uk, the laptop will be $699 dollars us:p

i am shocked when i look at european/english mac magazines and calculate the final cost to the buyer...sometimes a person outside the us pays forty percent more for a mac...it would be the equivalent of a person from another country, who is a student, paying $1400 us for an emac...yikes...a few more bucks to cover state sales tax and one can buy an lcd imac in the states!

jefhatfield
Aug 21, 2002, 06:13 AM
and i heard somewhere that a top level powermac will cost someone in new zealand or australia something like $5,500 hundred dollars? is that true?

what is a new zealand dollar or australian dollar to a us dollar these days?

748s
Aug 21, 2002, 07:30 AM
in australia a dual 1.25ghz is $7295. that converts to $3977.82 u.s. dollars. don't know the NZ cost. au dollar buys 0.54 u.s.cents. nz dollar buys 0.46 us cents.

richierich
Aug 21, 2002, 07:59 AM
Not entirely relevant.... but a while ago in my pre-mac days I went to New York (I live in London) and bought a Sharp notebook for 500 cheaper than it was in the UK so it paid for my trip!!!

The prices are cheaper in the US and I have a girlfriend from New Zealand who told me her pc cost her $5000 NZ. When you consider how much that is against earnings it is amazing people there (and Australia) can afford any electronic gear.

It is annoying looking at the US Apple site and looking at the prices and then having to spend a lot more over here, for no apparent reason.

It won't stop me however.........
:)

topicolo
Aug 21, 2002, 08:28 AM
I think Apple hasn't been lowering its prices much at all. I mean, sure, they came out with the emac and a cheaper ibook, but they've increased the price of the Tibook, the imac, and the powermac. Sure, you're getting more speed with the newer iterations of those products, but Apple also raised prices, which is almost unheard of in the computer industry (except for the crazy fluctuations in lcd and memory prices). Most companies just introduce new products but they keep them in the same price range, but nooooo--Apple can't do that. They've gotta keep their 30.7% margins.:rolleyes:

DaedalusDE
Aug 21, 2002, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by jefhatfield
and i heard somewhere that a top level powermac will cost someone in new zealand or australia something like $5,500 hundred dollars?

umm... $5500 hundred? i think you mean $5500... $5500000 seems a bit steep for a powermac

topicolo
Aug 21, 2002, 09:43 AM
Originally posted by bousozoku
Hey...was I not waiting? Hmm...? :D

I don't think I was fast enough :)