PDA

View Full Version : Should I get the G4 17" PB now?

dylomel
Nov 26, 2004, 06:21 PM
I just saw a G4 17" PB added on the refurbished items list in Apple Store.http://store.apple.com for $2,399. And then I found a site called ALL Best Computers (http://allbestcomputers.com/) , they have ridiculous low prices but not an authorized Apple reseller or anything. And for the G4 17" their price is $1377(http://allbestcomputers.com/view_product.php?product=16). Does anybody buy stuff from there at all? Should I buy it from there? Also, will the price drop if Steve Jobs really announce a new G5 Powerbook or updated version of alumnium G4 in MWSF in Janurary? Thanks! :D

mklos
Nov 26, 2004, 06:49 PM
I've never heard of that place. I'd be a little weary of buying something from discounted places like that. Its like the saying...If its too good to be true, then it probably is!

I'd say the PowerBook G5 will be the same price. A 64-bit G5 laptop for the current prices would be very competitive.

I'd wait and see what MacWorld SF 2005 brings and then get it.

thequicksilver
Nov 26, 2004, 06:56 PM
I've never heard of that place. I'd be a little weary of buying something from discounted places like that. Its like the saying...If its too good to be true, then it probably is!

I'd say the PowerBook G5 will be the same price. A 64-bit G5 laptop for the current prices would be very competitive.

I'd wait and see what MacWorld SF 2005 brings and then get it.

This is very sound advice. mklos I'd advise you to take it as gospel.

Will Curran
Nov 26, 2004, 07:26 PM
This is very sound advice. mklos I'd advise you to take it as gospel.

I second that. Refurbs are just as good right?.. I agree just wait, you never know what will be at the end of the rainbow!

ok.. that was a little corny but whatever

dylomel
Nov 26, 2004, 11:47 PM
Thanks guys for the advices. As you mentioned, I think I will just wait until the MWSF 05 is over -- but darn it,
waiting for 1.5 months don't feel good though :rolleyes:

Santa, I want a G5 17" Powerbook NOW... with a blueberry cheesecake pls. :p

tech4all
Nov 27, 2004, 12:05 AM
but darn it, waiting for 1.5 months don't feel good though :rolleyes:

I bet it doesn't feel as bad if you were to buy a G4 17" PB, then in 1.5 months Apple announces a the G5 PBs for the same price :eek: :rolleyes: ;) Now that would feel bad :(

btw: im not saying that the G5 PBs are coming in Jan. I just used as a very extreme example :p

StarbucksSam
Nov 27, 2004, 12:11 AM
I know waiting a month and a half may not sound appealing now, but there are a few possible scenarios in January:

1. Apple comes out with new PowerBook G4's.
2. Apple drops prices on PowerBook G4's.
3. Apple comes out with PowerBook G5's.
4. Apple does nothing with PowerBooks.

It's up to you - if you're willing to be patient, and I understand this is hard, scenarios 1, 2, and 3 are all very beneficial. I think if I was spending THAT much money, I'd wait.

dylomel
Nov 27, 2004, 12:53 AM
I know waiting a month and a half may not sound appealing now, but there are a few possible scenarios in January:

1. Apple comes out with new PowerBook G4's.
2. Apple drops prices on PowerBook G4's.
3. Apple comes out with PowerBook G5's.
4. Apple does nothing with PowerBooks.

It's up to you - if you're willing to be patient, and I understand this is hard, scenarios 1, 2, and 3 are all very beneficial. I think if I was spending THAT much money, I'd wait.

thats true, $2799/ 2499 (with edu discount) for a laptop....

phreakout13
Nov 27, 2004, 01:05 AM
Thanks guys for the advices. As you mentioned, I think I will just wait until the MWSF 05 is over -- but darn it,
waiting for 1.5 months don't feel good though :rolleyes:

Santa, I want a G5 17" Powerbook NOW... with a blueberry cheesecake pls. :p
Or kill 2 birds with 1 stone and get a Blueberry iBook smeared with cheesecake!
Anyways, try Powermax.com (http://www.powermax.com) I'm pretty sure they're certified. I'd still wait 'till January. It'll be worth it. What if the new Powerbooks are way cheaper, like with them thar iMacs.

CrackedButter
Nov 27, 2004, 04:10 PM
1.5 months is nothing compared to some people who have been waiting for at least 2 years nearly...

dylomel
Nov 28, 2004, 02:59 AM
I wonder how often does Apple usually update the curent line ? Also, when did the first Titanium G4 Powerbook come out indeed ? Thanks! :p

ant_s
Nov 28, 2004, 08:09 AM
I wonder how often does Apple usually update the curent line ? Also, when did the first Titanium G4 Powerbook come out indeed ? Thanks! :p

Original TiBook was introduced at MWSF (January) 2001. The PowerBooks are updated every 6-8 months, usually.

The G4 is still a very capable processor and if you are able to purchase one reasonably, then go ahead! Like many others have said on this forum - just because a new product comes out doesn't stop yours from working!

Good luck,

aussie_geek
Nov 28, 2004, 07:12 PM
If you want / need the new PowerBook, then get it. The number of posts in this forum telling people to hold off for G5 PowerBooks is ridiculous. Anyone who expects a G5 PowerBook in the near future (ie in the next 6 months) is crazy.

Besides, considering the cooling issues with the new G5 iMac, do you really think that they could shrink that down to a PowerBook by January? Also you have to consider that you would have to be pretty game to buy a G5 PowerBook - revision 1. What about all the issues that may arise? $4000 for a portable hotplate?? :D

The G4 for portable computing is the best choice. It is powerful enough to do what you want while you are not at your desktop. If you are after a computer that will do all the CPU intensive tasks you would be mad to buy a notebook anyway. Get a G5 desktop for that.

aussie_geek

dylomel
Nov 28, 2004, 11:12 PM
If you want / need the new PowerBook, then get it. The number of posts in this forum telling people to hold off for G5 PowerBooks is ridiculous. Anyone who expects a G5 PowerBook in the near future (ie in the next 6 months) is crazy.

Why would it be crazy to expect the PB G5 in the coming year? :p

SiliconAddict
Nov 29, 2004, 12:04 PM
The G4 is still a very capable processor

*coughs*bull$)i)*coughs*

G4 systems are to the Apple line of computers as wheelchair basketball is to basketball in general. they both do the same basic thing, they both will eventually get the job done, and...er....they are also at a disadvantage due to issues with the architecture.

PS-Obviously not a PC post. No offense to those who are confined to a wheelchair. I've got a couple friends who are but its the only compairson that made itself readily apparent.

SiliconAddict
Nov 29, 2004, 12:27 PM

Well Apple better have SOMETHING other then another ****tastic speedbump ready for spring otherwise I fully expect, and frankly hope, that PowerBook sales tank. Have you looked at benchmarks from speedbump to speedbump then look at the speed increases that are showing up on AMD and Intel Pentium M system? Apple's in a really crappy position right now. The G4's system bus is its biggest bottleneck and the only options right now are either:

-New freescale CPUs...not going to happen anytime soon. Wasn't it October they actually announced these chips. If they have them shipping in 1st-2nd quarter of '05 it would be some sort of record. And since this IS a Moto offshoot I trust them as far as I can throw their prod facilities.
-Or a revamped scaled down 1.6Ghz G5 at 90nm that has been tweaked in some way for a PowerBook. When I say tweaked there are a number of things IBM and Apple could potentially do to the chip itself to bring it into a state that allows it to be placed in a PowerBook.

The G4 for portable computing is the best choice. It is powerful enough to do what you want while you are not at your desktop.

aussie_geek

Whatever. Maybe if you are simply typing up a word doc. Try doing final cut or some serious photoshopping on a PowerBook and get back to me. Hell even if you aren't going into the Apple store and opening up iTunes for the first time after book. I ended up standing there drumming my fingers about 4 times and 8 seconds. That's for simply OPENING up iTunes. WTF?!?
The PowerBook line sucks compaired to the rest of the industry. Period.
With the iBook its obvious that you aren't shooting for cutting edge. Its a solid low to midrange laptop that is well priced. But the PowerBook? Whatever.No more excuses. This is the same crap that happened prior to the G5 PowerMac. Nothing but excuses. With the new PowerMac and now iMacs Apple desktop users have something to crow about. The same CAN NOT be said on the high end of Apple's laptop line.

Butler Trumpet
Nov 29, 2004, 12:36 PM
Here is just a good way to tell if a site is for real or not..... take a look at the "powerbook" in that link ... looks like an iBook to me... if they cant even put a pic of the correct computer on, I would say bad idea.

maya
Nov 29, 2004, 01:44 PM
Well Apple better have SOMETHING other then another ****tastic speedbump ready for spring otherwise I fully expect, and frankly hope, that PowerBook sales tank. Have you looked at benchmarks from speedbump to speedbump then look at the speed increases that are showing up on AMD and Intel Pentium M system? Apple's in a really crappy position right now. The G4's system bus is its biggest bottleneck and the only options right now are either:

-New freescale CPUs...not going to happen anytime soon. Wasn't it October they actually announced these chips. If they have them shipping in 1st-2nd quarter of '05 it would be some sort of record. And since this IS a Moto offshoot I trust them as far as I can throw their prod facilities.
-Or a revamped scaled down 1.6Ghz G5 at 90nm that has been tweaked in some way for a PowerBook. When I say tweaked there are a number of things IBM and Apple could potentially do to the chip itself to bring it into a state that allows it to be placed in a PowerBook.

Whatever. Maybe if you are simply typing up a word doc. Try doing final cut or some serious photoshopping on a PowerBook and get back to me. Hell even if you aren't going into the Apple store and opening up iTunes for the first time after book. I ended up standing there drumming my fingers about 4 times and 8 seconds. That's for simply OPENING up iTunes. WTF?!?
The PowerBook line sucks compaired to the rest of the industry. Period.
With the iBook its obvious that you aren't shooting for cutting edge. Its a solid low to midrange laptop that is well priced. But the PowerBook? Whatever.No more excuses. This is the same crap that happened prior to the G5 PowerMac. Nothing but excuses. With the new PowerMac and now iMacs Apple desktop users have something to crow about. The same CAN NOT be said on the high end of Apple's laptop line.

Apple is going to discontinue the PowerBook line and re-introduce it when the G5 is available or the G6. :D

The dual core G4 chips will have a happy home in the iBook line for another year to a year and a half.

PowerBooks lack many things such as:

HD LCD resolution
SATA HDD
8x DVD burners
Better Speakers and sound
Faster chip and FSB
Memory

Anyone saying otherwise is joking with themselves. The G4 has always been lame IMO. The ordeal with moto has been a nightmare indeed.

aswitcher
Nov 29, 2004, 01:51 PM
I waited 8 months to get the latest rev of the 17" and it was well worth it for the price drop alone. I am sure that if Apple can G5 it, then it will drop in price. You might even get cool stuff like a digital TV tuner, dual layer dvd burner, 100 gig HDD option, better battery life etc