PDA

View Full Version : iMac G5 Revision B ... When?

cawiddis
Nov 26, 2004, 07:27 PM
I'm just getting back into the Mac world (after being on the Dark Side of Windows for the last 9yrs) and I'm looking at buying a G5 iMac 20".

Anyone have a guesstimate on when Apple might schedule a Revision B?

A common suggestion seems to be to hold off until Revision B... let Apple iron out any kinks or implement any improvements.

Thanks!

Chuckles

jadam
Nov 26, 2004, 07:47 PM
If they do come out, it will most likely be at Mac World San Fransico in January.

I too am waiting to see what Apple comes out with, hopefully a nice new carbon fiber powerbook or a faster iMac G5 with better video card.

maya
Nov 26, 2004, 09:03 PM
If they do come out, it will most likely be at Mac World San Fransico in January.

I too am waiting to see what Apple comes out with, hopefully a nice new carbon fiber powerbook or a faster iMac G5 with better video card.

With the way things are heading I would not expect an iMac G5 rev B until ~March 2005 and it should have Tiger installed or some other promo for a mail in CD.

The iMac G5 rev A was released on Aug 31 or Sept 01 which ever way you see it and was not shipping until 2 weeks later. That said it would be only ~4 months. That is too fast for an update. :) It will be in ~March 2005 you can count on that. :D

Faster GPU 128MB for sure. Faster SuperDrive at 8x. And some bugs with the hardware. And maybe a base of 100Gig HD SATA with WiFi built in, "g" if "n" is not released. BT is most likely a money maker. ;)

Plus the new Low Powered G5 chips that should cut one of the 3 fans out making it a bit more silent.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 26, 2004, 09:06 PM
With the way things are heading I would not expect an iMac G5 rev B until ~March 2005 and it should have Tiger installed or some other promo for a mail in CD.

The iMac G5 rev A was released on Aug 31 or Sept 01 which ever way you see it and was not shipping until 2 weeks later. That said it would be only ~4 months. That is too fast for an update. :) It will be in ~March 2005 you can count on that. :D

Faster GPU 128MB for sure. Faster SuperDrive at 8x. And some bugs with the hardware. And maybe a base of 100Gig HD SATA with WiFi built in, "g" if "n" is not released. BT is most likely a money maker. ;)

Plus the new Low Powered G5 chips that should cut one of the 3 fans out making it a bit more silent.
The only problem with this is that it assumes that the PowerMac G5 will be updated before that, since Apple would never put a better GPU in the iMac than the PowerMac. Other than that little point, everything else you mentioned seems reasonable to me, maya.

maya
Nov 26, 2004, 11:44 PM
The only problem with this is that it assumes that the PowerMac G5 will be updated before that, since Apple would never put a better GPU in the iMac than the PowerMac. Other than that little point, everything else you mentioned seems reasonable to me, maya.

You can count on PMG5 updates coming ~late Jan to early feb 2005. Since the PMG5 rev B was released mid-late June 2004 that would make it 6-8 months. Well in line for an update.

The eMac G5 will follow with similar specs as the iMac G5 (as usually it will always step on its toes). And thereafter the iMac G5 will reach rev B. Hopefully the eMac G5 will not step on the iMac G5 toes for a long period of time, like Apple has done in the past.

In any case PMG5 rev C, I am looking forward to it. :)

wdlove
Nov 27, 2004, 01:50 PM
You can count on PMG5 updates coming ~late Jan to early feb 2005. Since the PMG5 rev B was released mid-late June 2004 that would make it 6-8 months. Well in line for an update.

The eMac G5 will follow with similar specs as the iMac G5 (as usually it will always step on its toes). And thereafter the iMac G5 will reach rev B. Hopefully the eMac G5 will not step on the iMac G5 toes for a long period of time, like Apple has done in the past.

In any case PMG5 rev C, I am looking forward to it. :)

Of course with the 2.5 G.5 water cooled model the next update will actually be Rev. B. I would expect sometime early 2005, maybe even at MWSF. The iMac won't be until March or after.

mklos
Nov 27, 2004, 03:49 PM
Of course with the 2.5 G.5 water cooled model the next update will actually be Rev. B. I would expect sometime early 2005, maybe even at MWSF. The iMac won't be until March or after.

No, the model you mentioned IS the Rev. B model. The next revision will be the Rev. C models. They're rumored to include dual core G5 processors running around the 3 GHz mark. I would expect them anywhere from January-March. Apple may announce them at MW SF 05', but not ship them until March. Or ship the lower 2 models in February, and then ship the high end one in March.

wrldwzrd89
Nov 27, 2004, 04:57 PM
Nope, the 2.5 GHz really is the Rev. B PowerMac G5 - just a strange Rev. B, as it uses a new design.

MacSA
Nov 27, 2004, 06:14 PM
No, the model you mentioned IS the Rev. B model. The next revision will be the Rev. C models. They're rumored to include dual core G5 processors running around the 3 GHz mark. I would expect them anywhere from January-March. Apple may announce them at MW SF 05', but not ship them until March. Or ship the lower 2 models in February, and then ship the high end one in March.

Where did you hear about them being 3GHz?

dongmin
Nov 27, 2004, 06:19 PM
Where did you hear about them being 3GHz?They'll be 3 ghz, for sure, or there abouts. The big question is if IBM is ready to ship DUAL-CORE cpus. My bet is no. Not until the summer.

Sun Baked
Nov 27, 2004, 06:48 PM
Don't expect dual core 3GHz chips, IBMs already stated the dual cores would ship with lower clocks to keep them within the same power/heat specs as the single core chips.

If a 2.5GHz chips is running 80-100W and need liquid cooling, cramming two cores in there isn't going to make it run cooler or use less energy.

That thinking would lead to dual V10 engine Vipers suddenly using less fuel and making less noise than a Viper with a single engine.

In PC speak the dual core will be equivalent to the 3GHz single core but likely be clocked at 1.5/1.6GHz. And at this speed there is a chance the FSB would run at the same speed as the CPU.

mklos
Nov 27, 2004, 06:56 PM
Where did you hear about them being 3GHz?

Well if the next G5 doesn't run at or somewhere very close to 3 GHz then there's no reason to implement it into the PowerMac. People would be bitching up a storm if Apple's next PowerMac G5 update was a speed bump from Dual 2.5 GHz to Dual 2.6, or 2.7 GHz. 6 Months for a 200 MHz upgrade is absolutely unacceptable!!!

As far as I know, IBM isn't working on any other processor besides the dual core G5 (PPC970MP) so the next PowerMac revision would have to include a dual core G5. Rumors say that the dual core G5 could run at speeds as fast at 3.2 GHz, but we'll see.

Yes, they are working on a low powered version of the G5 for the PowerBook which probably won't be ready to make in quantities until at least spring 2005, or later.

I think Apple could use this in the PowerBook and iMac Rev b. This would keep the heat down and save power. So I wouldn't expect a rev b iMac G5 until at least late March, early April 2005. I'd say they'd be around 2 GHz, maybe a little faster, with possibly a faster FSB (800MHz?), and a faster slot load superdrive (8x?). Hopefully Apple will put at least an ATI Radeon 9600 XT graphics card in the next revision. The 5200 Ultra just doesn't cut it, especially since there's no BTO option to upgrade it.

wdlove
Nov 27, 2004, 07:15 PM
Nope, the 2.5 GHz really is the Rev. B PowerMac G5 - just a strange Rev. B, as it uses a new design.

I'm sorry about that, just seem that the water cooling made the difference. At least now I know the true story, thank you for the correction. I certainly hope that we do hear something about the Rev. C at MWSF. If we do see the 3 GHz, Steve will have been off by 18 months.

maya
Nov 27, 2004, 08:45 PM
I'm sorry about that, just seem that the water cooling made the difference. At least now I know the true story, thank you for the correction. I certainly hope that we do hear something about the Rev. C at MWSF. If we do see the 3 GHz, Steve will have been off by 18 months.

A dual 3Ghz G5 that is crazy. :eek: :) It most likely will be announced at MWSF however ship in late feb or sometime march, as usual. :)

In any regards the 1.8 and 2.0 Ghz G5 chips are looking old in the PM line.

Macmaniac
Nov 28, 2004, 09:42 AM
At Apples current upgrade path I would not be surprised if they updated the iMac in late may or even at WWDC. However Apple could surprise us and do it earlier. PMs may after MWSF, I am guessing that MWSF will be devoted to PBs and iPod minis.

MacSA
Nov 28, 2004, 11:38 AM
I am guessing that MWSF will be devoted to PBs and iPod minis.

....don't forget the eMacs. :D :D

wrldwzrd89
Nov 28, 2004, 11:44 AM
....don't forget the eMacs. :D :D
The XServe, too, is due for an update. Maybe Apple will update all 4 at MWSF '05.

sockeatingdryer
Nov 28, 2004, 11:53 AM
I am with everyone else... thinking Spring 2005.
eMacs get an update in January, PowerBooks get a bump, and something happens in the iPod lineup... they can't leave that family alone, can they? :p

brogers
Nov 28, 2004, 12:59 PM
I disagree somewhat. The iMac G4 was released at MWSF in January 2002. I bought one in March when they shipped...Superdrive....and in May they updated to a 17" monitor with a slight difference in the halo around the monitor..plastic coloring or something, but certainly different from my original 15". That's four months. I think we will see something from the iMac this January. Maybe just speed bumps.

br

wrldwzrd89
Nov 28, 2004, 01:03 PM
I disagree somewhat. The iMac G4 was released at MWSF in January 2002. I bought one in March when they shipped...Superdrive....and in May they updated to a 17" monitor with a slight difference in the halo around the monitor..plastic coloring or something, but certainly different from my original 15". That's four months. I think we will see something from the iMac this January. Maybe just speed bumps.

br
Apple can't update every product at once, though - 4 of them are overdue for updates, and 2 others (iMac and PowerMac) will be due soon. Apple's probably going to update the 4 products that are overdue in January, and update the other 2 as soon as they can afterward.