PDA

View Full Version : What is the best iPad case?

Applenewstoday
Aug 9, 2010, 09:00 PM
I just got my iPad, and I want it to be protected from falls from 3 feet onto cement. I just broke my iPod screen be sitting on a rock, so I'm really worried about a bigger sheet of glass. :(

bumzo1
Aug 9, 2010, 09:42 PM
its really all personal opinion/ what kind of case you want. I really like the book design and I feel the incipio kickstand or the griffin elan passport fits my criteria nicely.

Applenewstoday
Aug 9, 2010, 09:56 PM
I kinda like the book style, but I much prefer cases that cover the back. I want it to be able to protect the screen from impacts, and prevent the back from scratching...

cole01
Aug 9, 2010, 09:57 PM
I really love my Belkin Grip Vue. it doesn't add to much bulk but it's protected my iPad perfectly since launch day. Not a scratch on it.

KameronBriggs
Aug 9, 2010, 10:13 PM
I'm waiting for my iSkin Vu to arrive.
It's a mix of TPU and Hard Case. It retails for 64.99, but it's much cheaper on other places online. I've seen some great reviews. I already have a TPU Case, much like the Belkin Grip Vue. I like the material.

HiRez
Aug 9, 2010, 10:15 PM
I vote for the Apple case: it's thin (barely adds any thickness), light, easy to grip, makes the iPad easy to hold, and props up multiple ways. It gets dusty (marks on the surface), but they wipe off with a damp cloth easily.

But it really depends on what you're looking for in a case: style, protection, versatility, etc. They all have their plusses and minuses.

Applenewstoday
Aug 9, 2010, 10:18 PM
I don't mind bulk, I just want a cheap, yet durable, iPad case

xraytech
Aug 9, 2010, 10:22 PM
I really love my Belkin Grip Vue. it doesn't add to much bulk but it's protected my iPad perfectly since launch day. Not a scratch on it.

+1

Applenewstoday
Aug 9, 2010, 11:10 PM
I vote for the Apple case: it's thin (barely adds any thickness), light, easy to grip, makes the iPad easy to hold, and props up multiple ways. It gets dusty (marks on the surface), but they wipe off with a damp cloth easily.

I don't think the apple iPad case protects it if you drop it.

TOYSTER17
Aug 9, 2010, 11:28 PM
I've been looking around as well as I'm planning to buy cover for mine in the next week. My other iPad had a small dent on the back and quite a bit of scratches, got it replaced due to light leakage and want to keep this one looking new. Found these that interested me from engadget and gizmodo review's.

http://gizmodo.com/5597000/review-in-case-convertible-book-case-for-ipad

and

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/03/a-tale-of-two-ipad-cases-the-dodocase-and-m-edge-trip-jacket/

what do you guys thinks?

Blorzoga
Aug 9, 2010, 11:41 PM
Belkin grip vue + power support antiglare is the best combo available. Protection + grip - bulk = awesome

TOYSTER17
Aug 9, 2010, 11:51 PM
Belkin grip vue + power support antiglare is the best combo available. Protection + grip - bulk = awesome

thing is, I'm gonna be carrying around the iPad in my backpack and I don't think something like this will protect it.

Surely
Aug 9, 2010, 11:55 PM

This is what I use as well. Perfect protection.

When I need to take it with me, I use an Incase Netbook Sleeve. It's almost exactly the same as the iPad-specific case, but it opens on the side instead of on top, and it's around 1/2 inch longer. I modded it by adding a shoulder strap to it so I don't need to put it in a bag.......

xraytech
Aug 9, 2010, 11:57 PM
thing is, I'm gonna be carrying around the iPad in my backpack and I don't think something like this will protect it.

I have a Grip Vue and carry my iPad in a Timbuk2 man purse (yes, you heard me, MAN PURSE). More than enough protection, IMHO.

TOYSTER17
Aug 10, 2010, 12:43 AM
I have a Grip Vue and carry my iPad in a Timbuk2 man purse (yes, you heard me, MAN PURSE). More than enough protection, IMHO.

Lol. What are your thoughts though if I have it in my backpack with folders and a book or two. From what I've seen, the Grip Vue doesn't offer much protection for the screen, or am I mistaken?

HiRez
Aug 10, 2010, 01:54 AM
I don't think the apple iPad case protects it if you drop it.

It offers some protection. It's not padded, but it does have ridged edges that would absorb some impact from the sides. That said, it's very grippy and the iPad is not heavy, so I've never dropped it or even "almost" dropped it. I've carried books around for years and unless I'm carrying a bunch of heavy ones with slippery covers, I never feel like their going to spontaneously leap out of my hand. So the iPad feels totally secure, but I suppose it depends how clumsy you are.

Applenewstoday
Aug 10, 2010, 02:16 AM
Is there a book style case that has a clear back? I like the apple logo and such.

Keyuyi
Aug 10, 2010, 04:00 AM
I just got Grip Vue (clear) for my iPad at Best Buy today. I really like it. I was using Apple iPad Case but I wanted to see the back of the iPad so. just my opinion

cole01
Aug 10, 2010, 04:31 AM
I use my grip vue with my belkin pleated iPad sleeve when I take it with me. it provides more than enough protection and i like the fact that the sleeve has an extra zipper pouch to carry around a charger/iPod if need be.

Seamaster
Aug 10, 2010, 05:08 AM
http://forums.macrumors.com/forumdisplay.php?f=139

pumazooma
Aug 10, 2010, 05:22 AM
I use my grip vue with my belkin pleated iPad sleeve when I take it with me. it provides more than enough protection and i like the fact that the sleeve has an extra zipper pouch to carry around a charger/iPod if need be.

I've got the Belkin pleated case too. Very neat and the expandable pocket is perfect for headphones, cables and power blocks. Very pleased with it.

pdhahn
Aug 10, 2010, 06:34 AM
I'm using the Otterbox Commuter case and so far I love it. It does add a little weight, but my iPad feels nice and safe with it on. It adds protection while still looking fairly stylish.

jpmfan
Aug 10, 2010, 11:19 AM

thats the same combo ive decided to go with, adding in MoviePegs for watching videos/typing

Applenewstoday
Aug 10, 2010, 04:52 PM
Is the Contour iSee for iPad a good durable case? I'm interested in that one

Nicolle Casey
Aug 13, 2010, 07:27 AM
It seems first you need good protection for your iPad!
I'm curious how do you guys keep your iPad screen clean.. I had a problem with the smudge marks and started looking for a sleeve - this is how I came up with the idea of iShine microfiber sleeve for the iPad. Let me know if you want to try it!

Nicolle

swedefish
Aug 13, 2010, 07:56 AM
I've been looking around as well as I'm planning to buy cover for mine in the next week. My other iPad had a small dent on the back and quite a bit of scratches, got it replaced due to light leakage and want to keep this one looking new. Found these that interested me from engadget and gizmodo review's.

http://gizmodo.com/5597000/review-in-case-convertible-book-case-for-ipad

and

http://www.engadget.com/2010/05/03/a-tale-of-two-ipad-cases-the-dodocase-and-m-edge-trip-jacket/

what do you guys thinks?

I have the M-Edge Trip Jacket and I really like it. I don't have any pics, but I might be able to take and upload some if you're really interested. Anything in particular you want to know?

mcdj
Aug 15, 2010, 07:28 AM
Wirelessly posted (iPhone: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

The BEST case for EVERYONE ever?

Easy. The Snipe Case.

Built
Aug 21, 2010, 08:12 PM
Yoobao Magic Case for me...Tried the Chinao and the Cyber Acoustics, as well as the Apple case...Yoobao Magic Case wins hands down for me.

justin216
Aug 22, 2010, 04:13 PM
I vote for the new Brenthaven 5-in-1 iPad Case.

http://www.brenthaven.com/ipad-catalog/5-1-ipad-case-matte-black

While listed for "Pre-Order" currently, mine arrived on Friday, and it's definitely a premium offering.

EthanNixon
Aug 22, 2010, 05:43 PM
I've had quite a bit of iPad cases, and I love my Apple iPad case the best.

kepner
Aug 22, 2010, 05:49 PM
The Cyber Acoustics case (http://www.cyberacoustics.com/retail/Cases-and-Covers/IC-1000BK) is currently my favorite case. (Previously, it was the Marware Eco-Vue (http://www.marware.com/products/iPad/Eco-Vue-for-iPad).)

Lichter21c
Aug 22, 2010, 05:52 PM
If you want something that will seriously protect it without having to use a bag its the Otterbox Defender case. I have one and cannot wait to put it on my iPad.

Otterbox makes great stuff and I have personally saw people literally throw there iPhones across the room and not dent nor scratch. now I don't know if that's the case with the iPad version but I will trust that it will do the job. It has a indestructible feel and its rigged and rugged as anything else.

http://www.otterbox.com/ipad-cases/ipad-defender-series-case/

it has a back shell that you can clip on over the face when you are not using it, also comes with a clear screen protector that you put on the iPad.

benh911f
Aug 22, 2010, 06:04 PM
Yoobao Magic Case for me...Tried the Chinao and the Cyber Acoustics, as well as the Apple case...Yoobao Magic Case wins hands down for me.

These are the three I'm looking at. What do you like better about the Yoobao as opposed to the others?

Seamaster
Aug 23, 2010, 09:37 AM
Check out the long-running Yoobao thread.

maniacphoner
Aug 23, 2010, 05:19 PM

This one has to be the very most handy-dandy iPad case anyone has made. I might actually consider one for my parents.

NateEssex
Aug 23, 2010, 11:15 PM

While listed for "Pre-Order" currently, mine arrived on Friday, and it's definitely a premium offering.

I own and love the Apple case, but the video I just watched for the Brenthaven does look cool.

snook911
Aug 24, 2010, 01:18 AM
My vote is for the incase covertible jacket. It offers great protection and doubles as a great 4 position stand (that's right I said great twice.) It's a little pricey at $60 but my wife said it best when she said you bought an expensive piece of electronics you don't want to spend $60 to protect it. She was right so I bought the case.

Arcitekt
Aug 24, 2010, 06:15 AM
I have several including the Incase iPad case. I just received the Vaja Leather Agenda 2 and must say this is the best case yet. Pricey $220.00, but beautifully designed and constructed. this case has 2 horizontal positions, very light and the whole iPad screen is exposed. See separate thread postings.

Darth Maniac
Aug 24, 2010, 06:22 AM
I have several including the Incase iPad case. I just received the Vaja Leather Agenda 2 and must say this is the best case yet. Pricey $220.00, but beautifully designed and constructed. this case has 2 horizontal positions, very light and the whole iPad screen is exposed. See separate thread postings.

Please post a video - go on you know you want to :-)

I would love to see it in detail and especially the various stand positions!!

snook911
Aug 24, 2010, 03:32 PM

I have not seen the Vaja yet but there are 2 different incase jackets. One I did not like as it only has the one position kind of flat with a little angle that would be good for having it on your lap. For $10 more ($60) you can get the convertible jacket which has the lap position as well as a 3 position stand. Thanks to the new velcro closure where you slip the ipad in it is protected from slipage on all sides. Really a great case for the money.

highdefjunkie
Aug 24, 2010, 04:26 PM
Definitely the Apple case. Is it perfect? Hell no, but I've tried a ton of them and I always go back to the Apple case. I use the Compass stand as well. Both are the best.

When I travel with it in my bag, I also have to use the incase case as well. I noticed the back of my Ipad had a ton of dents and It was coming from hard objects in my bag. Good news is I swapped it out with a brand new one at work. :)

akdj
Aug 25, 2010, 09:08 AM
I'm a fan of the MarWare EcoVue.

I, too, have a couple of cases my wife and I have tried...this one is the favorite (just bought a second yesterday for my wife's iPad).

Easy to hold, carry, and provides decent front, back and edge protection.

The Apple case is excellent as well.

J

Chip NoVaMac
Aug 25, 2010, 10:12 PM

I carry around my iPad in a Skooba Netmessanger bag in the Apple iPad Case - no issues so far... If I were one to really abuse things I would look at the Otterbox Defender for the iPad.

It offers some protection. It's not padded, but it does have ridged edges that would absorb some impact from the sides. That said, it's very grippy and the iPad is not heavy, so I've never dropped it or even "almost" dropped it. I've carried books around for years and unless I'm carrying a bunch of heavy ones with slippery covers, I never feel like their going to spontaneously leap out of my hand. So the iPad feels totally secure, but I suppose it depends how clumsy you are.

Closest I came to dropping my iPad was at Subway today, thought I rested it on the edge of the order counter - the grippy nature of the Apple iPad Case allowed me to catch the error of my ways before it actually feel...

Thanks for the link to this :) Addresses some of the issues that us Apple iPad Case users have with dirt/dust on the edges and easily getting the iPad out for docking and and such. Just hoping that the slightly larger profile will allow for it to be used in my Skooba Netmessanger bag...

anusija
Mar 15, 2011, 08:42 AM
For best ipad cases and accessories, I would suggest to check with ChinaBuye, they are online gadget store from china. You can find wide collections of cases makes and models. Rates are quite cheaper as i got one recently.