PDA

View Full Version : Power Mac G5: Should I Bother?




MaxMike
Aug 9, 2010, 10:28 PM
Right now I have a Mac mini (see sig) and I thought about doing some moderate-heavy photo editing (learning how to really use Photoshop and Aperture). When I was using Aperture or Photoshop, my mini seemed like it was a little laggy for doing the graphics. I may be coming upon the opportunity to get a PM G5 soon (Not sure what specs it would be at the moment, but it would be <$200 and fully upgraded, but not sure what Rev./ model it is). With my mini, should I even bother with the G5, or should I wait a while and eventually just get a Mac Pro or iMac at some point?



d88co88
Aug 9, 2010, 10:35 PM
Wait a while and get a refurb i7, you won't regret it.

MaxMike
Aug 9, 2010, 10:53 PM
Wait a while and get a refurb i7, you won't regret it.

Well, I am buying a new MacBook Pro next year (for 1st year of college) and was wondering if maybe for the price, if I should even bother with getting a G5. Just since it can only run versions of software that are a step back (Photoshop CS4, and Aperture 2)

d88co88
Aug 9, 2010, 11:22 PM
Well, I am buying a new MacBook Pro next year (for 1st year of college) and was wondering if maybe for the price, if I should even bother with getting a G5. Just since it can only run versions of software that are a step back (Photoshop CS4, and Aperture 2)

Well how much is the one you're looking at and what are the specs?

MaxMike
Aug 9, 2010, 11:33 PM
Well how much is the one you're looking at and what are the specs?

I'm not really sure of the specs right now. I believe it is from 2004-2005 and it would cost about $150. Just didn't know if a G5 is worth bothering with since the PPC architecture isn't really getting any further updates from Apple and it can't use a lot of newer programs like my mini can. But I would think that the graphics power of a G5 is miles better than the 9400M in my mini

d88co88
Aug 9, 2010, 11:41 PM
I'm not really sure of the specs right now. I believe it is from 2004-2005 and it would cost about $150. Just didn't know if a G5 is worth bothering with since the PPC architecture isn't really getting any further updates from Apple and it can't use a lot of newer programs like my mini can. But I would think that the graphics power of a G5 is miles better than the 9400M in my mini

Actually, $150 is a steal. If you have the cash in hand and it's in good condition, I would do it.

mrsir2009
Aug 10, 2010, 12:19 AM
You could probably just get a really good 15" MBP, which would be able to do all you'll ever need. However, $150 for a G5 is a pretty good deal too ;)

Davy.Shalom
Aug 10, 2010, 12:23 AM
If it's less than $300, and at least a Dual 2.3, go for it. If not, just wait and save up for a newer, intel mac.

Hrududu
Aug 10, 2010, 12:24 AM
Don't pass on it for $150. If nothing else, try it out and sell it for 2x that later on to help fund your new Mac. Personally, I really like G5's. Space for 2 internal 3.5 drives and tons of RAM is a nice change from the Mini.

LordSeth
Aug 10, 2010, 08:30 AM
(post deleted)