Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Right now I have a Mac mini (see sig) and I thought about doing some moderate-heavy photo editing (learning how to really use Photoshop and Aperture). When I was using Aperture or Photoshop, my mini seemed like it was a little laggy for doing the graphics. I may be coming upon the opportunity to get a PM G5 soon (Not sure what specs it would be at the moment, but it would be <$200 and fully upgraded, but not sure what Rev./ model it is). With my mini, should I even bother with the G5, or should I wait a while and eventually just get a Mac Pro or iMac at some point?

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Wait a while and get a refurb i7, you won't regret it.

Well, I am buying a new MacBook Pro next year (for 1st year of college) and was wondering if maybe for the price, if I should even bother with getting a G5. Just since it can only run versions of software that are a step back (Photoshop CS4, and Aperture 2)

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2009
MN
Well, I am buying a new MacBook Pro next year (for 1st year of college) and was wondering if maybe for the price, if I should even bother with getting a G5. Just since it can only run versions of software that are a step back (Photoshop CS4, and Aperture 2)

Well how much is the one you're looking at and what are the specs?

MaxMike

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Dec 6, 2009
Well how much is the one you're looking at and what are the specs?

I'm not really sure of the specs right now. I believe it is from 2004-2005 and it would cost about $150. Just didn't know if a G5 is worth bothering with since the PPC architecture isn't really getting any further updates from Apple and it can't use a lot of newer programs like my mini can. But I would think that the graphics power of a G5 is miles better than the 9400M in my mini

d88co88

macrumors 6502
Dec 8, 2009
MN
I'm not really sure of the specs right now. I believe it is from 2004-2005 and it would cost about $150. Just didn't know if a G5 is worth bothering with since the PPC architecture isn't really getting any further updates from Apple and it can't use a lot of newer programs like my mini can. But I would think that the graphics power of a G5 is miles better than the 9400M in my mini

Actually, $150 is a steal. If you have the cash in hand and it's in good condition, I would do it.

Davy.Shalom

macrumors 6502
Dec 23, 2008
If it's less than $300, and at least a Dual 2.3, go for it. If not, just wait and save up for a newer, intel mac.

Hrududu

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2008
Central US
Don't pass on it for $150. If nothing else, try it out and sell it for 2x that later on to help fund your new Mac. Personally, I really like G5's. Space for 2 internal 3.5 drives and tons of RAM is a nice change from the Mini.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.