Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

bludragon06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Pittsburg California
I have been looking into getting a navigation app for my new 4 but I have noticed that I would have to use a car kit with it like TomTom or Magellan. I want the TomTom app but I dont want to have to take my phone out of the case every time I use the Navigation App and have to place the phone in the kit. What can I do or do I really need the car kit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!-Dave

Rayfire

macrumors 68030
Aug 25, 2008
PNW
I have been looking into getting a navigation app for my new 4 but I have noticed that I would have to use a car kit with it like TomTom or Magellan. I want the TomTom app but I dont want to have to take my phone out of the case every time I use the Navigation App and have to place the phone in the kit. What can I do or do I really need the car kit? Any help would be greatly appreciated!-Dave

With an iPhone 4, you don't really need any car kit, the GPS chip within the iPhone 4 based on my experience is stronger compared to its earlier predecessors. Been using mine with just a regular dashboard mount and never lost any signal (with exception to really rural places or tunnels etc.)

wrkactjob

macrumors 65816
Feb 29, 2008
London
Wow my ip4 generally has me about a mile away from where I really am, I wouldn't want to rely on it for navigation purposes. I guess if it's using triangulation it depends how many transmitters your air time provider has up and running.

I'm with O2 here in the UK and someone a mile away has my iPhone?

sammich

macrumors 601
Sep 26, 2006
Sarcasmville.
From what I've been hearing the newer generation A-GPS chips in the iPad and the iP4 are much more accurate and calculate your position faster.

My iPhone 3G has recently managed to get my position to a few meters even within a building, and has been flawless on Maps and TomTom.

RetiredInFl

macrumors 68020
Jul 7, 2008
FORMERLY NJ now FL
Wow my ip4 generally has me about a mile away from where I really am, I wouldn't want to rely on it for navigation purposes. I guess if it's using triangulation it depends how many transmitters your air time provider has up and running.

I'm with O2 here in the UK and someone a mile away has my iPhone?
If it's that far off either you GPS is turned off, you are indoors or somewhere where there is no GPS signal from the satellites or you have a hardware problem. You should be accurate to 1 or 2 meters.

CDew

macrumors member
Jan 15, 2010

I have a Magellan and with my 3G, having the kit made a huge difference. It almost seems unnecessary with my iPhone 4.

I use it with a bumper on but had to remove the rubber grommit around the plug to get it to fit. Another HUGE complaint with the Magellan is that it plays music out of the speaker on the kit even when you use the headphone cable. I hope they make a change to the kit to address both of these, but I wouldn't hold my breath.

Because of these two issues, I would see if you can get by without one, at least until Magellan makes some improvements for the iPhone 4.

qckslvrsiete

macrumors regular
Jun 22, 2010

Been using TomTom App without a kit for a week or so now on my ip4. Noticed it's more accurate and gets a lock faster than my actual TomTom standalone GPS unit.

bludragon06

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 27, 2010
Pittsburg California
Been using TomTom App without a kit for a week or so now on my ip4. Noticed it's more accurate and gets a lock faster than my actual TomTom standalone GPS unit.

Really? So you can use the iPhone in just a generic windshield holder like the Arkon clip thing with the tom-tom app on the phone? No need for the kit? This is what I am hoping for! I want to get the app but I don't want the car kit! I don't like that I would have to remove the case every time I wanna use navigation! Can you take a pic of your set up? That would really be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

spblat

macrumors 6502a
Jun 18, 2010
Really? So you can use the iPhone in just a generic windshield holder like the Arkon clip thing with the tom-tom app on the phone? No need for the kit? This is what I am hoping for! I want to get the app but I don't want the car kit! I don't like that I would have to remove the case every time I wanna use navigation! Can you take a pic of your set up? That would really be appreciated! Thank you in advance!

Here's my proclip setup.

https://forums.macrumors.com/posts/10710232/

I'm wrapping up a week long Yellowstone trip. Used navigon to get there and used an app called "Topo Maps" to navigate within the park. Both worked flawlessly, even while totally off the grid. The topo maps were always accurate to around 15 feet. Best GPS experience in 15 years of fussing around with GPS technology on camping trips.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
You dont need any kit to make the apps work well with an iP4. In fact on my 3G i never needed a kit, Navigon has always been great for me!

icecrystal23

macrumors 6502
Jul 18, 2010
The Navigon Mobile Navigator apps are all 50% off right now. It made it easier for me to make the jump. I haven't tried it yet, but it has gotten good reviews.

iphone1105

macrumors 68020
Oct 8, 2009
The Navigon Mobile Navigator apps are all 50% off right now. It made it easier for me to make the jump. I haven't tried it yet, but it has gotten good reviews.

At 50% off, IMO Navigon is a steal right now! You can get Panorama View3D and Traffic Live too for 50% off!

UAL Kingpin

macrumors newbie
Jul 11, 2010
I bought Navigon for western US yesterday beacause it is 50% off till 8/15. I used on the short trip to work with the iPhone 4 and it works great. The good thing about this app is that the maps are stored on your phone, so you don't need a 3G connection to get map data.

FieldingMellish

Suspended
Jun 20, 2010
I give up on driving with the iPhone4 navigation apps. The blue line showing your way often stops, leaving you driving without a visual guide. Trying to get it to work and keeping an eye on it is dangerous. I just bought a dedicated gps with spoken direction and a stronger gps chipset.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.