Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
When I got my Tibook three years ago, they gave me a new Lexmark printer with it. It is not OSX compatible so I sent it to a friend that has an upgraded old iMac G3 333 tray loader. Believe it or not, this gal (who was a teacher) had been using her trusty old SE all these years! I suggested the late 90's iMac to get her up to speed by going to OS 9.2 for a few months and then Panther.

The Lexmark z32 is going nuts on her. I recall that it was a bit tricky at times for me, but I worked around it. Basically because she is from the Stone Age computer wise, she's freaked that things seem so difficult because of a printer. She's across the country so she's had to hire a female Apple Tech out there who has been costing her a small fortune.

I reminded her that she's not paid ANYTHING for computers since 1990 but it still is bugging me that this stupid old Lexmark printer is driving her nuts. The iMac is giving her the error message "the computer is not connecting to the printer' or something like that. Does anyone remember anything about these Lexmark printers? And should I just have her update to Panther now (she's got an 80 gig 7200 Maxtor with 384mbs of ram) and make her get a new printer or should she slog it out with her old 9.2 setup. She's at 580 bucks now with Apple Tech charging lion's share of things -- should I make her cut and run to Panther or what do you think?

evil_santa

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2003
London, England
Given the choice: buy a new printer or call out a Tech support person: I would have gone for the new printer, it would be cheaper than the call out fee. I have found that when you give away or sell stuff such as computers or cars it becomes your fault when it goes wrong.

I would tell her to get a new printer & upgrade to osX or better still get a new imac :D

H&Kie

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2004
Doraemon said:

Sure as can be! And if you install OS X (10.3) including Lexmark printer support there's no need to install more drivers anyway. I had a Lexmark Z32 myself with my former iMac G3 400 and the same device still works great on my current iMac G5, running OS X.
The printersoftware even has more and better features than I had on the original software for OS 9

thecow

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2003
Timonium MD
California said:
She's at 580 bucks now with Apple Tech charging lion's share of things.
She could have gotten a really nice printer with the $580 that she wasted on tech support for a 3 year old printer. Did she reinstall the printer drivers?

California

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Aug 21, 2004
The Lexmark is OSX compatible? I had no idea as it said on the box only 8.6 - 9.2 compatible or something like that. That might make things smoother, and I did request a reinstall and an driver download on line, who knows what that tech did or did not really do.

No, the 580 is the total dollar amount -- 100 for the iMac (it was her daughter's), 40 for the Maxtor hd, I sent her some 128 mb ram free but the tech charged her 90 bucks for the 256 chip (after saying it was 40 -45 bucks to me) charged her 90 bucks to install 9.2 (!) and her total bill was over 400 bucks. I was pissed as my Apple Tech guy at UCLA here (great and smart guy who runs things there) did the same work on another pal's iMac for 90 bucks TOTAL (excluding the memory chip).

I even called Apple to see if they had this gal (an Apple tech gal, that's right) on record as I thought the pricing was outrageous.

Well, the problem is that my friend is totally ignorant of computers and, weirdly, so is her 18 year old son. Things I would do at no cost would somehow end up costing her a bundle, even with me walking her through things on the phone.

And thanks, evil santa, for the head's up on how it has become my "fault" that things are breaking down when you give stuff to friends. Its weird how that works, but my friend is pretty good about holding back her frustration from me.

I guess I'll suggest Panther, then. She needs to switch Apple techs, to start.
Again my only good news out of this is that she's getting 14 light years of computer knowledge in a few weeks. As she's a teacher and a writer, I think it is prudent she be online and Mac literate now.

mklos

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2002
My house!
I must say that Lexmark Printers are the biggest pieces of #hit ever made. I've seen nothing but trouble from any kind of Lexmark printer. If yours works fine, consider yourself lucky. The ink cartridges cost a fortune too! Heck, when the ink runs out you could throw your printer away and buy a new one cheaper that prints twice as good.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.