Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with getting their machines (specifically, this is my home machine, listed below - a 1.25 MDD G4 tower) to sleep after installing PCI cards fo any type. The system recognizes it and it shows up on hardware profiler.

I haven't gone back in to the machine to yank the card and see if it sleeps without it in there (although I did remove the device attached to it). Is this a defective card (works fine otherwise), or is this something peculiar with Macs (I've read similar issues with USB 2.0 PCI cards)?

Yes, I did a search first. :D

Thanks in advance.

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002

caveman_uk

Feb 17, 2003
Hitchin, Herts, UK
The sleep issue is very common. In my MDD it manifests itself by not properly going to sleep - the screen goes black but the fans stay on and it can't be woken. I have a USB2 card and a D-link bluetooth USB adapter attached to the built in ports. It doesn't seem to happen at all with just one in place but happens about 1 in 3 times when both are present. Basically you just have to put up with it. It's crap Apple saying it's the third party card companies fault when nearly all PCI cards do the same thing. Sounds like a problem with either Apple's hardware or software...not the cards :(

The only 'solution'? Don't put your mac to sleep...

iGary

Original poster
May 26, 2004
Randy's House
I'm just going to through the thing in the crapper.

Kernel panics when I insert a CF Card into my reader, won't sleep....

I'll just have to share the FW HDD and the reader.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.