PDA

View Full Version : Apple's iPad Case has stained my iPad

Errk!
Aug 10, 2010, 12:24 PM
Not a huge deal but it's kind of ugly - there is some kind of stain or discoloration on the iPad where the flap holder touches it on the inside back. I checked 2 other iPads that use an Apple Case and they don't have the problem although there's isn't quite as old as mine (3G launch date). I don't keep it in the heat or sun, and I do remove it occasionally (prob. at least once a day).

Is this a Case issue, an iPad issue, or what? Anyone else notice this?

EthanNixon
Aug 10, 2010, 12:28 PM
Not a huge deal but it's kind of ugly - there is some kind of stain or discoloration on the iPad where the flap holder touches it on the inside back. I checked 2 other iPads that use an Apple Case and they don't have the problem although there's isn't quite as old as mine (3G launch date). I don't keep it in the heat or sun, and I do remove it occasionally (prob. at least once a day).

Are you using those dumb back protector films?

Every picture I have seen of this stain is using a film of some sort on the back of their iPad.

nexedzero
Aug 10, 2010, 12:29 PM
Are you useing your ipad alot that it heats up a bit ?? also I have had this problem with a few ebay iphone cases i am able to get the stain off with nail polish remover and dont use those cases again

Errk!
Aug 10, 2010, 12:34 PM
Are you using those dumb back protector films?

Every picture I have seen of this stain is using a film of some sort on the back of their iPad.

Nope - don't have one on now and never have.

Are you useing your ipad alot that it heats up a bit ?? also I have had this problem with a few ebay iphone cases i am able to get the stain off with nail polish remover and dont use those cases again

No - that's one thing I've loved about the iPad is that unlike every iPhone I've had it never seems to get hot or even warm to the touch.

So nail polish remover is safe to use on the back of this?

I'm calling it a stain but it's not like it's staining the color of the case, and it's not extremely noticeable. It's more like a weird discoloration in the shape of the inside of the case where that flap is.

vincenz
Aug 10, 2010, 12:35 PM
I have the Apple ipad case and it hasn't discolored the back of mine. Probably just got unlucky with yours :(

bcaslis
Aug 10, 2010, 12:57 PM

I got a wifi on 4/9 and the 3G on launch date. Both have been in an Apple case with no stain or discoloration. Sounds like there is some problem specific to your case.

Batt
Aug 10, 2010, 01:09 PM
Nope - don't have one on now and never have.

No - that's one thing I've loved about the iPad is that unlike every iPhone I've had it never seems to get hot or even warm to the touch.

So nail polish remover is safe to use on the back of this?

I'm calling it a stain but it's not like it's staining the color of the case, and it's not extremely noticeable. It's more like a weird discoloration in the shape of the inside of the case where that flap is.

Does it look like Jesus? Or Elvis?

Shoesy
Aug 10, 2010, 01:12 PM
Did it get a little damp?

Errk!
Aug 10, 2010, 01:13 PM
Did it get a little damp?

Never.

PBG4 Dude
Aug 10, 2010, 02:03 PM
While my Apple case hasn't discolored my iPad, if I'm in the right light I can see the outline of the latch on my iPad. Other than the Apple case, my iPad is completely nude and spends 24/7 in climate controlled coolness.

Errk!
Aug 10, 2010, 02:06 PM
While my Apple case hasn't discolored my iPad, if I'm in the right light I can see the outline of the latch on my iPad. Other than the Apple case, my iPad is completely nude and spends 24/7 in climate controlled coolness.

Mine is more than an outline but yeah, sounds pretty similar. It's a big latch-sized rectangle on the back. I haven't tried anything to remove it so I don't know how permanent it is.

Clix Pix
Aug 10, 2010, 08:14 PM
No problems here....I have both the WiFi and the 3G. I do not keep the Apple case on either of them for an extended period of time, though......at home both are usually naked.......

gwynne
Aug 10, 2010, 09:00 PM
Pics? So far I've only seen this mentioned in relation to the stick-on things.

My iPad has been in it's Apple case 99% of the time since launch day, and I've cleaned the whole case down with a damp cloth more than once. Back of iPad is still pristine.

I suppose it's possible there was a bad run of cases/dye.

Perihelion
Aug 10, 2010, 09:58 PM
This thread made me panic and check under my apple case. Lucky...no discoloration here.

jimHdk
Aug 10, 2010, 10:34 PM

I've had the Apple case on my iPad since launch day back in April and there is no staining.

Errk!
Aug 10, 2010, 10:57 PM
Pics?

Yes, I'll try to get some posted.

GreggM3
Aug 11, 2010, 10:23 AM
Does it look like Jesus? Or Elvis?

Thanks for the LOL! I almost stained my iPad by spewing a latte on it!